I don't understand Lyca Mobile's port-in form

Options

I'm porting my iD no. but what is 'Other Mobile SIM number'? If it refers to my current iD SIM, why isn't it asterisked as a compulsory answer like the no. you want to keep is?
Also, am I supposed to work out what the port in date will be?

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    There was a thread on this last year

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6374244/porting-number-to-lyca

although, TBH, it's still not entirely obvious which number goes where.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    'SIM number' could also refer to the number printed on a SIM, as opposed to 'mobile number'. Faced with such ambiguity and incompetent form composition I would definitely not port any 'number I wish to keep' to Lyca...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a terrible form, but I ported in last week and it worked, although I was expecting problems....
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    littleboo said:
    Its a terrible form, but I ported in last week and it worked, although I was expecting problems....

Well done - perhaps you could advise OP exactly how you filled each field of the form...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • TemmyTemjin
    TemmyTemjin Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 January 2023 at 11:17PM
    Options
    This exact same form stumped me today. It's utter rubbish. Whoever put it together needs to be dragged, thrown, and locked into a UX design school and not let out.

For what it's worth in case it helps anybody who comes across this, my understanding:

"Mobile number you want to keep" - The number you want
    "New Number" - The default phone number of your provided new Lyca sim
    "Lyca Mobile SIM number" - This is the long number on the back of the sim card package underneath the barcode

"Other Mobile SIM number" - No clue. I didn't fill this in. The form was submitted fine without it.

Again, though, just so we're clear; complete trash.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Would guess it is a bit belt and braces but it does give a bit of protection.
    It asks for the serial numbers of both the donor and recipient sims, rather than just the associated telephone numbers. That would be a useful safeguard against fraud or errors, such as requesting a pac while the wrong sim is in the phone.

• sheffieldeagle
    Options
    I wonder if this is the reason you see a lot of complaints regarding porting issues with Lyca.

Cheers
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    littleboo said:
    So what did you put in 'port in date', which is a compulsory field? I really want to do get this done this evening because I think tomorrow is going to be too near to the weekend, which apparently can cause problems but I have no idea why.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the major issue with porting is where you get a 'split' port, where calls are transferred but texts aren't, or where the port doesn't include all the networks. E.g. calls from 3 go to the new sim but calls from 02 etc still go to the old one. Never happened to me, but if it did happen and your port was on a Friday you would be stuck with the problem over the weekend. I think the most common problem is outgoing calls still showing the temporary number.
  • nottsphil
    Options
    That's ok, I'm not expecting any calls this weekend. Was just concerned it might increase the chances of losing the number. I'll do it tomorrow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback