The cost of pet food

Options
oconnor_m2000
oconnor_m2000 Posts: 5 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 9 January 2023 at 11:23AM in Pets & pet care
How are People handling the cost if pet food. I’m don’t want my kitty cat to lose just because of the cost of living crisis. Have any of you cut Back on this item? What did you get as a replacement? 

The cost of pet food 44 votes

Cut back
6%
milobruleefoxandflowersMarzipanCrumble 3 votes
Have remained the same
75%
cheerfulcatka7efrosch411elsienpowerful_RogueTorry_Quinejessmistsarah1972Lavendyranna42hmrNaomimFrugalistamrchinchin25babyshoeshappysaz133KinskiGingerTimjon81ukSensibleSarahtopcat105 33 votes
Found cheaper brands
18%
phillduttondealyboyKatiehoundScorpio33thriftytraceymarcia_captainlongtoesVyEu 8 votes

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 January 2023 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Have remained the same
    Pmd the team to move to the pets board when back online on Monday as it’s better suited on there.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Found cheaper brands
    ... I didn't know there was a pets board  :( Cat food is a constant problem, buy something new ... loves it ... buy loads ... hates it ... back to the fish.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 January 2023 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Found cheaper brands
    I too buy my dog food online when there is a special offer.I think I have  5 x 15 kg /12 kg bags stacked up! Those brands have not changed

However  My old girl also has to have partly rice + ?.
    The + was original Chappie which went from 65 pence a tin to £1.25 in one mega jump. I have found that Glenrick Pilchards are cheaper @ £1.10 and it makes boring old soaked Harringtons taste irresistible. (and they last longer as the inside of the tin is coated)
    Cheaper and tastier. 
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have remained the same
    I'd cut back on human food before messing with my cats food - they enjoy what they eat, and the cost, effort and waste involved in trying out many different cheaper brands to find something they'd be happy with seems like it just wouldn't be worth it.

Like elsien I shop around and take advantage of discounts - if there's a good offer on and I can afford to, I buy some whether I need it or not. The shelf life is usually about two years on pet food, it'll keep. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have remained the same
    We use a few places and always buy extra when doing our food shopping, with a monthly shop at PaH, ensuring we've always got 3+ months in. 
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Have remained the same
    My puppy is only 5 months & still growing so he’s stayed on Royal Canin puppy kibble, £25 for 4kg. He’s a tiny yorkie so that lasts about 1.5 months. I also mix in wet food now he’s teething & that’s expensive, Lily’s Kitchen. I tried him on Butchers & he really likes that so I’ll be buying a mix of those two brands. Neither are the cheapest but we tried Tesco’s wet puppy pouches in jelly & that gave him very soft stools. It also looked a lot less dense, filling & appetising. He’s young & needs proper nutrition. 

I’ve cut down on my own food more than the dog’s.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have remained the same
    dealyboy said:
    ... I didn't know there was a pets board  :( Cat food is a constant problem, buy something new ... loves it ... buy loads ... hates it ... back to the fish.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/pets-pet-care
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SensibleSarah
    Options
    Have remained the same
    Like a few others have mentioned, I'll compromise on my own food before I mess around with what works for my pets - but thankfully I've not had to do either yet. 
    I have 2 large dogs and 3 cats - so quite a lot of pet food! My dogs both need different foods to support different needs (allergy in one, stomach issues in the other) and one of my cats is very fussy - so switching and changing when something is on offer isn't really possible most of the time. 
    I've found one of the cheapest ways to get quality stuff is to buy from Amazon on subscribe and save - because they apply a % discount to the whole order. Buying one of the brands I feed one dog from the manufacturer or most online stores costs around £30-£35 a month, but with an Amazon subscription is currently £24 for 30 days of food. Obviously those prices might rise but still probably cheaper than another method. 
    Somewhere like Zooplus tends to be cheaper than most other online sites too - but delivery sometimes takes a few days as they're not UK-based. Often it's 1-2 days though.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have remained the same

I've found one of the cheapest ways to get quality stuff is to buy from Amazon on subscribe and save - because they apply a % discount to the whole order. Buying one of the brands I feed one dog from the manufacturer or most online stores costs around £30-£35 a month, but with an Amazon subscription is currently £24 for 30 days of food. Obviously those prices might rise but still probably cheaper than another method. 
    Somewhere like Zooplus tends to be cheaper than most other online sites too - but delivery sometimes takes a few days as they're not UK-based. Often it's 1-2 days though.
    Pets at home do a repeat delivery service with discounts too - I use them, zooplus and amazon for different things depending on who's cheapest. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback