We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Follow the Yellow Brick Road 2023

1…4546485051…84

Comments

  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 6,318
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had been meaning to look to see what they are, clicked on your link and did oh yes we have those in the front, came with the house. They grow well on waterlogged poor soil in that case.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I had been meaning to look to see what they are, clicked on your link and did oh yes we have those in the front, came with the house. They grow well on waterlogged poor soil in that case.
    Thank you, that's great news.  Clay soil is supposed to have lots of nutrients, but its very compact and wet.  We are going to do some work on the lawn (either that or grow some rice) and beds this year to try and help it a little but I suspect its the way it slopes and the way the neighbours gardens probably run off onto ours.  But any tips for plants that will survive is much appreciated - so disappointing when they don't thrive.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 6,318
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 April 2024 at 8:53PM
    Based on old photos and what we found when we dug a test hole, our front is few inches of poor acid soil,  then tarmac over cobble stones so the soil is either bone dry or sopping wet. The 'lawn' is mostly moss. Honeysuckle takes well as do aquilegia, primroses and muscari. Elephants  ears thrive in all of our dark spots. Bulbs disappear. 
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks redo.  I bought a honeysuckle from Ldl late last year and its doing really well already :smiley: . Aquilegia looks nice and tall, and I think Kajikita also recommended primroses, grape hyacinths always so pretty.  Elephant ears look good too and great for butterflies.  :smiley::smiley:
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 6,318
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Morrisons have lots of £2.50 climbers so worth a look. I try not to put anything expensive in the front tbh. 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I may need to nip to Morries to look at their climbers as I want a load for the back garden.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've had a really productive weekend and a couple of bags of clothes are ready for charity.  The next step for the bedroom is to sort the dressing table area.  I feel that I've done the most difficult part of this room now and its good to see the difference its made.

    I'll then move onto the office/sewing room - more furniture jenga to swap the huge desk for a smaller one, and get a longer table.  This will be great as it feels so cluttered at the moment.  I'd like it to be a more relaxing space ready to escape to for sewing and/or art.

    Final part of the jigsaw is the garage.  I've got a good idea of what I'm need to do out there, but it will be so good to make this space work for us.

    I've given myself a target of mid-June which seems do-able, but there's the selling of stuff on v1nted as well as the gardening to sort, so I need to keep the momentum up.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • Willow1983
    Willow1983 Posts: 98
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi Sandy Shores, I have sent you a pm.
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Willow1983 - replied :smile:
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 5,082
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well done on the decluttering. Plans sound like they are shaping up nicely. 
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.