We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Follow the Yellow Brick Road 2023

1…1920222425…84

Comments

  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Over-ate and under-exercised at the weekend, but I am back on track now (I was slightly worried).  I'm getting my steps in everyday and it really seems to be helping physically and mentally.  Good to start feeling a little bit of space in my clothes too.  I've no other huge stresses in my life at the moment so now is as good a time as it will ever get.

    Another trip to MrL later to use a coupon for a free loaf of bread - will do that on the way home - so just a brief detour.   I seem to be constantly popping to the shops lately - doesn't help that I have three favourite shops and get different things in each.  MrA didn't have my coffee pods in Sunday, nor yesterday, so it looks like a call to another supermarket is needed - probably MrM on my way home from exercise class later.  I've just  created a list of essentials for each supermarket I use and will make sure I use it in future - and will buy in bulk!

    Another hot day, stay cool everyone.

    Sandy x
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 10,844
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oooh, good idea about the list of specific purchases per supermarket - i shall be robbing that idea 😊

    KK
    As at 26.09.26:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
    - OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
    c. 17 months reduction in term
    Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030

    Read 71 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 4th October. 
    Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026

    Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
    Watch your words, they become your actions. 
    Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad you are feeling better in yourself Sandy.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Glad to be of help Kajikita, help yourself :smiley: 

    And thanks Savingholmes, I really am feeling much more positive right now - a cloud has lifted :smile:  I think it all started with me beginning to say no to taking on too much.  I'm still busy, but no longer frantic!  I've learned that you have to stick up for yourself to look after yourself - then the rest seems to follow.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Eeek at that weekly food shop. I've spent money like water this weekend though so have no room to talk... As you say, hopefully it will balance out with other weeks... 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I know savingholmes :blush:.  To be fair a big chunk was M&S as we had company yesterday - so its some entertaining budget and there were loo rolls for a couple of weeks and coffee.  But I do need to keep an eye on it - especially as the cupboards and freezer are starting to feel a bit full.  I think its because I've been nipping to the shops so often and have tended to pick up extra items 'just in case' -  my new shopping routine should help. 

    On the other hand we are eating so much healthier than ever before, and we are sticking to smaller portions.   

    Pleased to report I have read over one third of my first book.  Just got to keep going and work my way through the other 17 too.
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Lovely refund on the water.

    Well done on reducing the shopping trips - I think I took them all up this month!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • SandyShores
    SandyShores Posts: 2,140
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks @savingholmes it really was an unexpected bonus, I'd forgotten all about the annual review.  The water use should be slightly down again next year as this will be the first full year of just the two of us.

    I'm over the moon with my shopping trip reduction.  Another click and collect yesterday - took me minutes to pick up the shopping from Mr Aa (and no substitutions).  Its twice as good because as well as time saving I'm not tempted by the special offers that I really don't need.  Afterwards a quick call into my second fave shop which is so much smaller - and not as exhausting to walk around -  and my whole weeks shopping took less than 30 minutes across the two shops - it normally seems to take a whole afternoon.  MrShores and I are creatures of habit, which makes it so much easier - with no little Shores to cater for on a full-time basis its much simpler to plan for the week.

    With much of the cleaning and tidying done I'll be spending a bit of time in the garden this afternoon :smiley:
    "Think of many things, do one"
    DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
    Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.