We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Follow the Yellow Brick Road 2023
Comments
-
Thank you and thanks for the tip savingholmes. I've disposed of a lot of soil where we have dug things out, and I was thinking it would have been helpful to have built the raised beds first and used it to fill the bottom of them. I didn't realise those were called pallet collars, they are really reasonable. I was also thinking about growbags and maybe even a greenhouse as alternatives but that would cost even more. All things to think about - I don't have much room so needs to be right, and I don't want to be dismantling something if it doesn't work."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga3 -
Have come down with a summer cold today, so not too much progress made, as feeling a bit rough. Very minor task achieved in the garden, and some sitting in the sunshine. Resting up tonight and hopefully will feel a bit better tomorrow."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga3 -
Hope you feel better soon. Sitting in the garden sounds nice too.Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 20281 -
Thanks savingholmes, sitting in the garden in the sun was lovely and I managed to read a bit more of book number 1 (just 17 more to go now!). Well, we are past mid-month and all the money is spent, just waiting until the next payday now. So much achieved in the garden, that sitting around reading is a great plan - especially if there's some lovely weather."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga3 -
Lovely sunshine again, and I managed to read a few more pages of book no. 1 in the sun yesterday. I spent most of the morning shopping and getting chores done but missed my usual activities seeing people. It reminded me that its so important to have those connections and I tend to put those to the end of my 'list'.
Its really making me think about work, which seems to dominate my life, and whether I need to change either my approach or my job to be more in sync with my goals. It made me think again about Flacos and Savings advice, and whether I should ease off on the financial goals a bit to achieve in other areas.
1. Environment e.g. decluttering your space
2. Family / Health work-life balance
3. Physical Health
4. Financial
5. Learning
6. Career
7. Social
8. Spiritual / Personal Growth / Inner Peace
"Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga3 -
Sandy, I typically do chores and all the running around things on Saturdays and then downtime / catching up with people on Sundays. Could that work as pattern for you?
What are the usual activities that mean you see people?
KKAs at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.2 -
Its all those things KajiKita where you interact with people, some involving exercise and some just meeting up for coffee etc. Too often I duck out so that I can play catch up with cleaning etc. (partially because work is regularly so full on during the week). I need to prioritise those social bits because all work and no play ......

ps I think I just need a longer weekend, but the same £s (or do I? - one for me to mull over)."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga2 -
Ooh forgot to mention another one here getting the NW £100, nice little treat to look forward to, and will help to offset some of the May garden spend. I popped into Asda earlier and spent the fiver I'd built up in the Rewards pot. Did quite a big shop for loo roll etc and when I got home I found I had another £11 in the pot - clever way to keep me going back there, but its one of my go to shops anyway so isn't a hardship. My other main shop is Lidl, really can't beat the bread, but I also love their lentil crisps amongst other things. I also have to confess to occasional trips for treat days to M&S.
Crossed a couple of items off the ToDo list this weekend, unfortunately one of them was to get a paint match pot - we like the colour so now there's another task to buy some paint and get painting
I think I need to start a separate ToDo list for big ticket items otherwise I'll never get to the end of the list.
I managed to pop out and see some people and family today, so pleased to report I have had my top up of social interaction before getting back to the slog first thing. Here's to a good week all."Think of many things, do one"
DFW 2019: MFW aim 2031: bal Sep26 £159k / £310k 2020
Seven Goals; and healthy diet/walk/run/exercising/weights/yoga4 -
Sandy, you are making me realise that I have no social bits at all …. 🤔😳SandyShores said:Its all those things KajiKita where you interact with people, some involving exercise and some just meeting up for coffee etc. Too often I duck out so that I can play catch up with cleaning etc. (partially because work is regularly so full on during the week). I need to prioritise those social bits because all work and no play ......
ps I think I just need a longer weekend, but the same £s (or do I? - one for me to mull over).
KKAs at 26.09.26:
- When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 - now £210,560
- OPs to mortgage = £20,180 Estd. interest saved = £10,393 to date
c. 17 months reduction in term
Fixed rate 3.85% ends October 2030
Read 70 books of target 52 in 2026 as @ 1st October.
Produce tracker: £329 of £400 in 2026
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.Watch your actions, they become your reality.2 -
Would getting a cleaner be the best of both worlds?SandyShores said:Too often I duck out so that I can play catch up with cleaning etc. (partially because work is regularly so full on during the week). I need to prioritise those social bits because all work and no play ......
ps I think I just need a longer weekend, but the same £s (or do I? - one for me to mull over).Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
Cleared 🧚♀️🧚♀️🧚♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed
Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards



