We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Resourcefulness: The budgeter's friend
Comments
-
I really like to support the high street shops because I'd miss them if they closed through lack of use, which many are doing, whereas if any of the huge online sell-everything businesses closed, I wouldn't miss them at all & their demise would have zero effect on my life. I like to get things for a good price, but there are still plenty of opportunities for this in real shops. For instance, yesterday I got a big reduction on my moisturiser because it was 20% off & I also had a £5 voucher on my loyalty card. Another toiletry on my list was free because I paid for it using Sparks points from my MandS wallet. My 2 pairs of new trousers came in at £11 because I had a stash of 'just for points' credit card loyalty vouchers. I also used a deal which put £10 back in the above wallet, so theoretically, that's 2 pairs of much-needed jeggings for £1 !! And I wss able to try them on in 2 lengths so as to buy the correct fit without the faff of returning them & could have a feel of the fabric as they were different ones to those I've had before. I'm both curvy & short so trying on is essential for me, unless I'm buying an exact something I've had before.
I love browsing in favourite shops & there was also a busy street food market going on which added to the atmosphere. A cafe visit for coffee & toasted teacakes also contributed to an enjoyable morning. I do order things online, but it usually tends to be stuff I can't get elsewhere (like the wretched bath-mending kit) or specific items such as yarn from indie dyers, books from small publishers, stuff from crafters/makers, etc.
Well, bung goes my planned gardening morning as the showers started earlier than expected. I did get the greenhouse watered, made a start on weeding a big border & picked a big basket of pears & a bunch of carrots. Am trying to do at least one garden task a day throughout Autumn & Winter as it's good moving, lifting & stretching activity for someone likes me who loathes all forms of physical exercise for exercise's sake. On many days, it will be a good hour or two+.
Small hedgehog in garden rhis morning. Needs fattening up for hibernation. Put some cat meat out for him but somebody else snaffled it..…& no prizes for guessing who!
Have a lovely Sunday.
F x
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!8 -
I so agree about shopping in the high street.
There won't be one, if everyone shops online. Great like you said to feel the fabric and fit of clothes. A recent day out in Liverpool was so much more enjoyable than an online shop for me.
6 -
I too am very tactile when it comes to clothes shopping, whether intentionally or not. I had dropped off a bag of clothes at the local CS mostly my neighbours but I had added to it. I decided as I was in no rush to have a browse thinking I wasn't buying just looking. Found a beautiful Jaeger cashmere jumper in my size for under £7. One happy lady here😘
I have done some more routing in the loft for items that came from parents house. Located a double pure wool blanket to put on the bed with the other one and a bed throw for on top. Just the right amount of snug weight but neither of us get too hot. I am definitely going off using a quilt now.
I am getting some extra food supplies and they will be kept under the cupboards as the kick boards are easy to get out. I'm also trying to get DH to agree for me to get another freezer but am wanting to put it in the workshop/shed. Just an under-counter style so he can use the top of it for storage or stuff. Or even lift it off the floor and use underneath it for storage I don't mind. There isn't much space in there as it is full of motorbikes😲
This morning I (along with some help of the dogs) picked some conference pears off the tree. That is a bucket full and I need to get them sorted into desserts along with the apples too. Pies and crumble in the making. I will practice some canning of them too. Wish me luck.
Have a good day
2 Scratters xx
Anything is better than nothing-check back and see
On the declutter journey since 2023 with Mrs SD. Tilly Tidy since 2023.8 -
@ellenvan - Yes, I completely agree about supporting physical shops.
@2Scratters - That was a good charity shop find.
I've been making our pantry/supplies more resilient. I've found some of the comments on social media about this astonishing! It's just simple common sense to have a few emergency supplies. I expect the people moaning & making ignorant comments will be the first to complain if the lights go out & they have no candles, etc.
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!3 -
Hello Sunbeams,
Usual unexciting but useful Monday tasks here at Foxgloves Manor.
*4 loads of laundry pegged out while we can still make use of free line-drying weather.
*Yesterday's roast pork divided up for a further 3 meals, starting with hot pork & apple sauce rolls with herby roast veg tonight.
*Baked a batch of bread rolls.
*Made tomorrow's packed lunch & breakfast.
*Did a bit of present knitting.
*Garden pickings: Courgettes, tromboncino, basil & carrots.
*Watered veg & container stuff, esp plants in pots awaiting Autumn.planting.
*Continued a small bit of an ongoing garden-tidying project.
*Decided on useful target jobs for tomorrow.
F x
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!4 -
I always keep a good emergency stock as we used to get a lot of power cuts a few years ago due to an underground cable that kept blowing in a local sub-station. They kept temporarily repairing it rather than dig the road up and fix it for good until the frequency of the power cuts got ridiculous. I was also caught out on both occasions I ended up with my leg in plaster and at the mercy of online deliveries so now have a good range of non-perishables stocked up.
I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping) -.literally have been run over by a bike, mobility scooter and a car - still here 💪4 -
Those are exactly the sort of emergencies which make having a well-stocked pantry so important, aren't they, @Sun_Addict? Around here, my main worry is flooding. Thankfully our end of the village hasn't flooded in all the time we've been here but we have definitely been in a position where there is only one route into & out of town. That can make things difficult for supermarket delivery lorries for starters & I'd also have concerns about electricity sub-stations potentially being knocked out by flood water. It just makes sense to be prepared. We don't have a landline so I've asked Mr F to source a bigger power pack as we only have a little one from charging our phones up during our camping days.
Even with something like both of us going down with flu or covid at the same time would make me grateful for enough supplies that we don't have to go out or faff with placing an order. I'm convinced that stronger household resilience is the way to go.
2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!5
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

