PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No buying until I’ve used up ALL my stashes

Options
jackieblack
jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
edited 31 December 2022 at 9:12AM in Old style MoneySaving
I have realised that I have accumulated large quantities of various items, so I plan to reduce my spending in 2023 by using up what I have already accumulated first before buying any more, this should also free up some space and help with the decluttering! 

These ‘stashes’ have accumulated by me bulk buying when I see things that I know I will use ‘in time’ at bargain prices, then repeating before the original lot is used up.  Some things have been buried in storage in my spare/junk room and it was easier to buy more than find/unbury what I already had 😳.

But, as part of my decluttering efforts, and to save spending unnecessarily, now is the time to stop buying more and start using up what I already have.

My main stashes are:
1. Toiletries - two large plastic storage boxes full plus other bits tucked away around the house 
2. Cleaning/laundry products 
3. Stationery - a particular weakness of mine 😳
4. Knitting yarn - at least two dozen 100g balls of DK and about 10 of chunky, mainly purchased to make for my granddaughter - I have to confess that there is another parcel on the way already 😳 although, in my defence, this is a strategic purchase as I have some colours I know I wouldn’t use on their own but had no complimentary colours to use them with so (in the sale) I ordered some of the complimentary colours I was lacking which will hopefully make it easier to use up the stash…
5. Dressmaking fabric - a chest of drawers plus two large laundry baskets full, at least half of this was bought to make things for my granddaughter but I haven’t had the time to do any sewing for over a year! 
6. Two bulging freezers full of food - I plan to eat something from one of these every day until I can fit the rest into one freezer

At the moment there is too much stuff to take proper inventories - I will endeavour to do this once each stash has reduced to a more manageable size. 

This thread is intended for me to keep myself accountable and record my progress. Anyone is welcome to join me 🙂
2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business