Processor's speed was meant to be 3.60ghz but is actually 2.40ghz! Aaargh! Shady seller??

Options
mich_52
mich_52 Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 April 2023 at 8:10PM in Techie Stuff

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ask for the difference in price between what you ordered and what you got maybe? But if it's too slow now, it's still to slow even if it now cost less?
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The i5-1135G7 is rated at 2.4GHz, but has a single core turbo maximum speed of 4.2GHz.

So you could be unhappy it is only 2.4GHz, or happy it can go to 4.2GHz.

Or accept GHz is not the be all and end all of CPU performance.

Where was this listed, and what did the listing specifically state?
  • mich_52
    Options
    flashg67 said:
    Ask for the difference in price between what you ordered and what you got maybe? But if it's too slow now, it's still to slow even if it now cost less?
    Thanks! The problem with asking this is that the seller may offer me a lower refund than what I am entitled to, that's why I'd like to know an approximate figure that is fair and right.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    if you wanted 3.6 and got a 2.4 that might not do the work how does a refund make it better ? 
  • mich_52
    edited 23 December 2022 at 8:45PM
    Options
    k_man said:
    The i5-1135G7 is rated at 2.4GHz, but has a single core turbo maximum speed of 4.2GHz.

So you could be unhappy it is only 2.4GHz, or happy it can go to 4.2GHz.

Or accept GHz is not the be all and end all of CPU performance.

Where was this listed, and what did the listing specifically state?
    Thanks for this comment! Very insightful!
    Ebay
    Nothing more important than what I said in the post.

What does "single core turbo maximum speed of 4.2GHz" mean?
    By the way, system's window shows the following specification for the processor: @2.40 GHz, 2419 Mhz, 4 core(s), 8 logical processors. 

• mich_52
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    if you wanted 3.6 and got a 2.4 that might not do the work how does a refund make it better ? 
    I could use the refund to change the processor? Who knows? I don't have a clue, that's why I am here asking. 
  • mich_52
    Options

Configurable TDP-up Base Frequency 2.40 GHz. Configurable TDP-up Base Frequency is a processor operating mode where the processor behavior and performance is modified by raising TDP and the processor frequency to fixed points.

Or in plain English:  its designed to throttle down when its not doing anything particularly intensive and throttle up when it is.  So this is normal behaviour.

Ghz figures don't mean anything these days.  If they did we'd be on about 1000Ghz by now putting out more heat than the system would be able to disperse.  Speed is more about the architecture/make-up of the processor than the raw clock speeds.
    Thanks for this comment!

Then do you think this processor will be able to reach 4.20 GHz when I am running all those demanding tasks (I mentioned in my post) at the same time?
    By the way, system's window shows the following specification for the processor: @2.40 GHz, 2419 Mhz, 4 core(s), 8 logical processors. 

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 December 2022 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Well based on "many (MANY!) Microsoft office documents/applications at the same time"...  Depends..

My laptop I have now is "only" 2.3Ghz (not that that means anything as I said above) and I can if I wanted to have copious Office documents open without this thing batting an eyelid.  Having looked at Task Manager for the last couple of minutes this drops to as low as 1.1Ghz clock speed.

I think you've completely misunderstood the whole processor thing.  You don't "need" a 4.2Ghz processor and you don't have a 4.2Ghz processor.  You have a laptop processor that runs at certain speeds based on what the demand of the system is.  If there is a need for the higher speed then you'll get it, at the expense of battery life.  If your laptop is just sitting there doing nothing its a complete waste of power to run at 4.2Ghz just because it can.

I would say you can have as many documents open as you like, that doesn't mean processor speed will ramp up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback