Getting rid of old furniture?

Options
13»

Comments

• travis-powers
    Options
    It’s a mad world we live in where people will spend for chipboard or mdf and have no interest in fine furniture, I constantly search marketplace for free or cheap furniture just for the wood to reuse.
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I visited the reclamation shop where I bought my mahogany table and I've cleaned it up but the response was that they can't give away furniture at the moment.
    And it's only 3ft and folds.

Used to work in a furniture place and this was previously the prime time to sell so no idea whats going on.

The charities that take for those in need also sell at a higher price for joe public so it may be an option. Rehoming peeps though are limited for space but worth asking. They may take it for displaying things.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    We have a Hulsta display cabinet that would cost new around £3-5k. It's a big thing - 2m wide, and 2m high. Condition is okay, but some of the finish needs touching up. We apparently can't even give it away. BHF laughed at us. I tried advertising it on Facebook for £50, with a view to accepting £nil, but  nobody is interested. 

As an example, this ebay item, which is really quite nice and a quality item,  had nobody interested. 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hulsta-book-display-cabinet-/374380830261

Do I just dismatle my unit and take it to the dump, or pay someone to take it  away?

Where in the country are you? I can make a suggestion if you are in East London/Essex area. I recently had several large pine items to clear. BHF wasn't interested. Individuals didn't have the transport/means to move the items out of my house but I found 1 charity in Ilford which snapped them up. 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    katejo said:
    GDB2222 said:
    We have a Hulsta display cabinet that would cost new around £3-5k. It's a big thing - 2m wide, and 2m high. Condition is okay, but some of the finish needs touching up. We apparently can't even give it away. BHF laughed at us. I tried advertising it on Facebook for £50, with a view to accepting £nil, but  nobody is interested. 

As an example, this ebay item, which is really quite nice and a quality item,  had nobody interested. 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hulsta-book-display-cabinet-/374380830261

Do I just dismatle my unit and take it to the dump, or pay someone to take it  away?

Where in the country are you? I can make a suggestion if you are in East London/Essex area. I recently had several large pine items to clear. BHF wasn't interested. Individuals didn't have the transport/means to move the items out of my house but I found 1 charity in Ilford which snapped them up. 
    We are in East Finchley. 

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback