only have wood to heat our house-no other option

2»

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If this new law does any good, it will be by driving out the terrible quality nets of wood that used to be on sale everywhere.  The nets were invariably either unseasoned, or soaking wet through being left outside in the rain.
    It's a fristrating exercise trying to burn poor quality firewood in your shiny new wood burning stive.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Sg28 said:
    Apodemus said:
    Sg28 said:
    You cant buy unseasoned wood anymore? I always use to buy it direct from estate managers or tree surgeons and season myself for a year. Is this not possible anymore? I haven't had a stove for 5 years since I moved house but getting one installed in the new year
    The rule only applies (in England) to volumes of less than 2m2, where it has to be certified as "ready to burn", which is defined as less than 20% moisture content.
    I remember buying a net bag of "ready to burn" firewood from b&q a few years ago. Split one and checked it with my moisture meter and it was 45%! 
    This came up in the local paper a few ears ago, B&Q were storing all the "ready to burn" wood outside in a pile out the back of the store and restocking inside as required so it was far from dry. I certainly would not buy fire wood from B&Q though, there are almost always better options in every part of the country. 
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sg28 said:
    Apodemus said:
    Sg28 said:
    You cant buy unseasoned wood anymore? I always use to buy it direct from estate managers or tree surgeons and season myself for a year. Is this not possible anymore? I haven't had a stove for 5 years since I moved house but getting one installed in the new year
    The rule only applies (in England) to volumes of less than 2m2, where it has to be certified as "ready to burn", which is defined as less than 20% moisture content.
    I remember buying a net bag of "ready to burn" firewood from b&q a few years ago. Split one and checked it with my moisture meter and it was 45%! 
    This came up in the local paper a few ears ago, B&Q were storing all the "ready to burn" wood outside in a pile out the back of the store and restocking inside as required so it was far from dry. I certainly would not buy fire wood from B&Q though, there are almost always better options in every part of the country. 
    It would be interesting to get the Trading Standards view on this, as it would seem to breach the legislation if they were to do that now.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apodemus said:
    Sg28 said:
    Apodemus said:
    Sg28 said:
    It would be interesting to get the Trading Standards view on this, as it would seem to breach the legislation if they were to do that now.

I expect their view is that they are under funded, short staffed and have far more important things to deal with.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Do you remember when burning wood was the best thing since sliced bread, it was carbon neutral and we were all given that warm and fuzzy feeling. Do you also remember that people who buy wood used to do it in bulk bags that in general people paid cash for. All of a sudden when tax wasn't being paid burning wood suddenly became vilified! Just saying...

It's just the same as the eco friendly cars that were low road tax, as soon as everybody was only paying £20-30/year and the treasury was running dry the 5 years full whack came into play. 

Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Once firewood is fully seasoned, it dries out quickly again after being in the rain. The way to measure the moisture and convince yourself of this is to split a log and measure the moisture in the middle.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mmmmikey said:

Funny to hear you say that, I had a similar experience with unseasoned logs from B&Q, that became known as the B&Q safety logs on the basis they were inflammable :) To this day, if anyone puts a log on the fire that doesn't burn someone invariably asks if it's a B&Q safety log :)
    Don’t sound very “safe” to me.

Inflammable means “easily catch’s fire” as does flammable. Inflammable actually could be worse not requiring a flame 🔥 for ignition. 

The were non-flammable logs. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure