only have wood to heat our house-no other option

Hi, I'm in North Northumberland and I dont have LPG or oil only have wood to heat the house-do we get £200 pound payment?
 the govt has made buying wood much more difficult and more expensive this year as they can only sell kiln dried
(we used to buy it and dry it for 6months to save money
-no-one burns wet wood, contrary to the media saying its the wood pollution thats tipping us over the edge!? The only renewable resource)
we have to buy tons of it a year and we only put the heating on in the whole house(the rayburn) when the temp inside reaches 9 degrees as it is-
(we do have one log burner and we dont collect benefits)
«1

Comments

  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    The alternative fuel payment does cover wood, we use wood and wood pellets.
    As to when it might be paid nobody seems to know.

  • Sg28
    Sg28 Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You cant buy unseasoned wood anymore? I always use to buy it direct from estate managers or tree surgeons and season myself for a year. Is this not possible anymore? I haven't had a stove for 5 years since I moved house but getting one installed in the new year
    Ex Sg27 (long forgotten log in details)

    Massive thank you to those on the long since defunct Matched Betting board.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sg28 said:
    You cant buy unseasoned wood anymore? I always use to buy it direct from estate managers or tree surgeons and season myself for a year. Is this not possible anymore? I haven't had a stove for 5 years since I moved house but getting one installed in the new year
    The rule only applies (in England) to volumes of less than 2m2, where it has to be certified as "ready to burn", which is defined as less than 20% moisture content.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure the people who sell kiln dried wood would like you to think that's all you're allowed to buy.
    In reality, people can still sell you properly seasoned wood provided that it's below 20% moisture.  Or you can bulk buy logs and cut them up and season them yourself.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Sg28
    Sg28 Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Apodemus said:
    Sg28 said:
    You cant buy unseasoned wood anymore? I always use to buy it direct from estate managers or tree surgeons and season myself for a year. Is this not possible anymore? I haven't had a stove for 5 years since I moved house but getting one installed in the new year
    The rule only applies (in England) to volumes of less than 2m2, where it has to be certified as "ready to burn", which is defined as less than 20% moisture content.
    I remember buying a net bag of "ready to burn" firewood from b&q a few years ago. Split one and checked it with my moisture meter and it was 45%! 
    Ex Sg27 (long forgotten log in details)

    Massive thank you to those on the long since defunct Matched Betting board.
  • I was able to buy a tonne bag of seasoned wood from our local coal/wood supplier. It was 18% moisture.
  • Surely you can buy forestry and prep two years ahead?

    Ive three years wood drying here at the moment and need to start buying again next year. All wood here is forestry ( soft ) and we can either buy the stripped trees and cut ourselves ( big start up costs ) or buy cut and season ourselves 
  • If you are struggling, there are some log banks in North Northumberland: https://www.breamishvalley.com/northumberland-log-bank/
    Reed
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker

    I remember buying a net bag of "ready to burn" firewood from b&q a few years ago. Split one and checked it with my moisture meter and it was 45%! 

    Funny to hear you say that, I had a similar experience with unseasoned logs from B&Q, that became known as the B&Q safety logs on the basis they were inflammable :) To this day, if anyone puts a log on the fire that doesn't burn someone invariably asks if it's a B&Q safety log :)
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Ectophile said:
    I'm sure the people who sell kiln dried wood would like you to think that's all you're allowed to buy.

    Kiln dried producers were the main campaigners behind the change in rules.  I have heard that they pressed for the limit to be 15% rather than 20, to make it really difficult for anything but KD to conform. Luckily they didn't get their way in that respect, so nowadays whether you buy kiln dried or air dried, it should be 20%.  Kiln drying makes the process quicker for the supplier, and allows them to claim RHI payments. It doesn't produce a superior product.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards