Santander Edge current account

Options

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree, I don't understand why MSE so often presents this as an either/or. You can have every cake available (and eat it) perfectly legitimately.
    I think MSE needs to keep things simple for those who aren't financially literate. Those of us who want to milk financial organisations for every single penny can continue to talk amongst ourselves on the forum
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2022 at 8:37PM
    Options
    I've been trying all day to transfer from 123 Lite to Edge on line and getting nowhere.

I go into online account, select Apply on line upgrade current account, select Edge, tick terms boxes and immediately get message 'Sorry' you don't have an eligible Santander current account'.   Rubbish, I have had one for at least 8 years.

Digital chat assistant doesn't recognise question.   Phone helpdesk tells me process to go through, which I am already doing, although she said to make sure I was entering my account information correctly.   Not relevant as I am already logged into my account and am making the transfer from there.    Worried that if I select 'Apply' rather than 'transfer account' I'm going to get account lost in the transfer.

Went into branch and was told server was having trouble with volume of traffic and to just go on trying.   Feel sure that if I keep opening and closing my online account alarm bells are going to ring and they'll suspect fraud and freeze my account. 

Even more annoyed that in branch 'advisor' was sitting doing nothing in his little office and even came out to ask people in queue if he could help.   I was told that no appointments were available until 7 December.  Online said process would take 10 minutes, surely he could have spared me this despite having no appointment.

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you really do want the Edge account, raise a formal complaint as they are giving you substandard service.
  • Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 November 2022 at 9:51PM
    Options
    What browser are you using, btw? I have just played about. I have started from "Upgrade current account", and it presented me with the Edge and the Everyday account as options.

It won't work for me in Google Chrome, I get "sorry there seems to be a problem" after a couple of steps. But it seems to be working just fine in Microsoft Edge. As I don't want to upgrade myself, I abandoned the Edge session but it looks as if it would have worked.

I have found several times that if Santander, and Santander Boosts, doesn't work in Chrome, it works just fine in Edge. May be that's why they called their new account Edge....🤣🤣🤣
  • Be_Happy
    Options
    I've tried Chrome and Firefox with same result - going in through log in and then selecting either apply - current account, or apply upgrade account but both get the same sorry no eligible account message.   Strange that they know who I am as the 'sorry' message is addressed to me by name so it must be coming through my account.

Haven't moved to Edge browser yet but may give it a try.  

Haven't had any online problems so far, even managed to open their new savings account recently with no trouble.
  • Be_Happy
    Options
    No.  Tried using Edge as browser, but exactly same result.

Did wonder if it was something wrong with my computer security settings but unlikely as I've had no problems with opening other accounts like regular saver and new savings account.

Will just have to make branch appointment and wait for the 2 - 3 weeks.   Can try online again occasionally before then.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Be_Happy You can request to message a live agent in the chatbot... and they can phone you back if busy.
  • Be_Happy
    Options
    Thanks.   Didn't know I could request message to live agent in chatbot.

However problem sorted.   Got through to a very helpful agent on phone.  They went through the same process as me using my account and got the same error message, so glad I wasn't doing something wrong.   They have now found there is a 'bug' on the application system and are looking into it in case others are being affected.

Because of the trouble I've been having, they processed the transfer for me and it has gone through.
  • peter021072
    Options
    Presumably with Edge we use our current Santander Bankers card for supermarket/petrol etc as we have with 123 Lite/ Everyday?  It would be a pain to have to change the details for another card on payment forms.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned is that many of us currently use a credit card for Supermarket, petrol etc. The free credit for a month to six weeks means slightly more money can be kept in an interest paying account, worth perhaps £10-20/month.
  • fewcloudy
    fewcloudy Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    Looked at this, did some calculations and not worth it in my view. I'm not one to chase (pun) every cent so 50p here or they’re just not worth the effort, I think.

Be gone, foul demon! 50p not worth the effort!?

Oh dear Lord! Blasphemy!

There are people on here leaving the oven door open for hours after cooking so as to not ‘waste’ the heat, and leaving the bath water for a few hours before pulling the plug for the same reason! Yet here you are SQUANDERING 50p’s needlessly.

I’m so stunned I need to go and lie down.
    Feb 2008, 20year lifetime tracker with "Sproggit and Sylvester"... 0.14% + base for 2 years, then 0.99% + base for life of mortgage...base was 5.5% in 2008...but not for long. Credit to my mortgage broker
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback