FBU & other Unions - Public Sector Pensions Judicial Review

Options
In July, The Fire Brigade Union were granted a Judicial Review hearing. This related to the Government's decision to make public sector pension scheme members foot the bill for the cost of remedying the Government's age discrimination (as per the McCloud judgement), when they reformed the various public sector pension schemes back in 2015.
The FBU Judicial Review outcome will have a knock-on effect for all public sector pension schemes (Civil Service, Local Government, NHS etc).

Back in July when the Judicial Review was granted, it was strongly suggested that the hearing would take place in November, but all has been quiet on this issue since and there seems to be no evidence anywhere that the case will be heard this month.

Does anyone have any information with regard to when the Judicial Review hearing will take place?

Comments

• squirrelpie
    Options
    Have you tried asking the FBU?
  • Golactico
    Options
    Not sure that they'd be interested as I'm not an FBU member, nor a fireman. Asking the question here casts the net a bit wider, since it will potentially be seen by members of many affected unions, one or more of whom may have had an update that they can pass on.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Golactico said:
    Not sure that they'd be interested as I'm not an FBU member, nor a fireman. Asking the question here casts the net a bit wider, since it will potentially be seen by members of many affected unions, one or more of whom may have had an update that they can pass on.
    Nothing to stop you asking them, or simply following developments on the FBU website which is likely to carry an update as soon as one is available.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Golactico
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Golactico said:
    Nothing to stop you asking them, or simply following developments on the FBU website which is likely to carry an update as soon as one is available.
    Very true - but I'm guessing that there might be others out of the 5Million+ public sector workers in the UK, who'd be interested in any information on this matter too. That's the great thing about this forum -  it's a platform for sharing information you might have with others who might find it useful.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 November 2022 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I do hope that a lot of people out there aren't eagerly expecting substantial windfalls once this has (finally) been resolved.

With the possible exception of those who received huge payrises/promotions in their latter years, it is highly likely that the accrual/revaluation rates of the new CARE schemes will give a better result.
  • Golactico
    Options
  • Golactico
    Options
    So, as far as I can ascertain, this Judicial Review hearing started last Tuesday and concluded on Friday (3rd Feb). 

Does anyone have any insight into how it went or more importantly, when a judgement will be handed down? Unless I've completely mis-read this, a judgement in favour of the FBU will result in pension enhancements for millions of public sector workers, backdated to 2019. Quite a big deal really - I'm surprised it's so under the radar.
  • Pat38493
    Pat38493 Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was something in the news late last week that the government has lost a court hearing about pensions - I am not sure if it was the same as this or not.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've not heard anything other than the case hearing started on 31/1/2023. I'm sure the respective Unions will be quick to provide any information as soon as they are able or there is anything to report.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback