We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

My smart reader has saved me a lot of money BUT...

Options
2»

Comments

• Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2022 at 2:22PM
    Options
    Did you get an explanation of how that situation came about Scrounger if indeed your heaters are wired in to only be able to take charge from the off peak circuit? 
    No explanation as such but I think the problem occurred when I switched to EDF from Scottish Power.  Scottish Power had installed the original smart meter just a few week prior, a 5-port Aclara SGM1416-B.   More details in this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79131957#Comment_79131957

Interestingly, at no time did EDF question my claims of the meter overcharging, nor was I asked to furnish any evidence to support these claims.

As for tips getting a smart meter, I would certainly check your E7 switch timings on the morning after the installation.

If you have a choice, I would recommend the Aclara SGM1416-B 5-port meter as it is one of the later models and it doesn't adjust E7 timing for BST - which means you get cheap electric for an hour later in the morning during the summertime.   

Also, ask the fitter to install an isolator.  This makes future upgrades on your consumer unit much easier. (This can be a either a 4-pole isolator or a 2-pole isolator on the peak supply tails only).

I'm sure everything will be OK. 

Scrounger

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The clocks moved back an hour and I noticed in the morning at 7am it was charging me the day rate.
    The economy 7 time is set at GMT.  It does not move with BST.  So, for some of the year, it will be one hour out.

In addition to that, meters can go out of sync. Sometimes by small amounts. Sometimes by a lot.  For example, my night rate time should be 00:30 to 07:30 GMT.     However, the meter timer is many hours out and we actually get 08:50 to 14:50 GMT.  Ours clearly is faulty but its in our favour and I am in no hurry to tell them.

If your economy 7 is circuit-switched, then that should not be a problem.  However, if you economy 7 is timer based, then you need to make sure your timers match.

We are not circuit switched and timers are used.   We tell the timers to ignore DST and check once a month that the time on the meter is the same as the time on the timers.  

I messaged them again and they gave me the rate timings and told me they can't adhere to the UK time changes. That's just shocking as my night rate still starts at 11:45 and I stay up till about 1am to turn off with no issues (FOR NOW). 
    It has always been GMT.  It has never used DST.        So, in that respect, it is not shocking.  That is the norm.
    Different regions have different start/end times and within those regions, it is not uncommon to have +/- 15 minutes.

Also, your time given seems to indicate more than 7 hours.  So, that cannot be correct either.

This is terrible for the customer.
    It's not.    Unfortunately, its more a lack of understanding on your part.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, what are the first 2 digits of you MPAN ?
    Some regions have the E7 times split over 2 periods and being on peak rate at 0230 and your E7 period covering more than 7 hours could account for that.
    Notably regions 17, 19, 21 & 22 may have a non standard schedule.

• wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smart meters have no benefits it's the person that uses them that can see the benefits, like turning everything off at the wall socket when not in use or using the economy 7 feature to its best use by turning to using as much electric as they need during the economy 7 period usually between midnight and 7am. 
    If you leave everything in standby mode try turning the stuff off at the wall socket, except the fridge, freezer and router, that alone can save up to 30%, it has for me, the less energy efficient the appliances the more the saving could be on switching stuff off at the socket.

The only saving in kWh prices are due to not having to read the meters yourself or have a meter reader visit to take readings. 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Smart meters have no benefits

Forget about turning things off: smart meters do offer a greater choice of tariffs with some offering periods of use much cheaper than any capped tariff with the EPG applied.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure