Christmas adverts

Just read a thread re adverts for Christmas and I posted about these coming with a financial health warning. A bit like the warning that comes with gambling adverts but stating something like - 'only spends money you can afford to spend on presents.' or something similar

It makes me a bit angry that all these adverts often aimed at children and those looking afte the children make them feel inadequate/etc if they did not buy this, that and the other.

True, adults should be able to make sound judgment but we all know it is not the case. Therefore, a warning as such will save a few thousand people at least from suffering financially after 25th Dec. Warning do work just like at the gambling and drinks sector. Not sure but loan/cc come with a warning as well I think.

It would be nice if MSE took up this challenge, IMO.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2022 at 7:33PM
    Warning do work just like at the gambling and drinks sector.
    Do you have evidence for that ? My understanding was that all these gambling awareness adverts have made very little difference ....

I see where you;re coming from, but relaisticallyI don't think people who are going to spend money they havent got at Christmas because 'it;s a special day, hun, and little Chantilly  just deserves that maga-phantasmatron unicorn with light up rainbow glitter horn, while we're treating ourselves to seventy different flavours of craft gin and a new motor'  are going to take the slightest bit of notice of a warning coming up on an advert.....

As the saying goes - you can lead a horse to water....
  • Just read a thread re adverts for Christmas and I posted about these coming with a financial health warning. A bit like the warning that comes with gambling adverts but stating something like - 'only spends money you can afford to spend on presents.' or something similar

It makes me a bit angry that all these adverts often aimed at children and those looking afte the children make them feel inadequate/etc if they did not buy this, that and the other.

True, adults should be able to make sound judgment but we all know it is not the case. Therefore, a warning as such will save a few thousand people at least from suffering financially after 25th Dec. Warning do work just like at the gambling and drinks sector. Not sure but loan/cc come with a warning as well I think.

It would be nice if MSE took up this challenge, IMO.

Nope.         
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Warning do work just like at the gambling and drinks sector.
    Do you have evidence for that ? My understanding was that all these gambling awareness adverts have made very little difference ....

I see where you;re coming from, but relaisticallyI don't think people who are going to spend money they havent got at Christmas because 'it;s a special day, hun, and little Chantilly  just deserves that maga-phantasmatron unicorn with light up rainbow glitter horn, while we're treating ourselves to seventy different flavours of craft gin and a new motor'  are going to take the slightest bit of notice of a warning coming up on an advert.....

As the saying goes - you can lead a horse to water....
    I actually thought about what you said as I posted, IE if this type of advert does have some form of impact. I guess it does and helps a few thousand people.

You may recall they banished sweets from supermarket tills, not sure of that worked.

We can only try as these people that can't manage money and or feels the state will provide do need some kind of help and adverts with a warning will get people talking and the more sensible members of these people's families etc talking more about it which may work to a degree.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Nothing has really changed since I was a kid, advertising showing the latest toys, a new Barbie or Ken or outfit or car etc for them, same as in the kids magazines. 

I guess the difference is I knew not to bother sulking, crying, stamping my feet as I knew the money wasn't there.

There's been no 'warning' for 40 odd years, it won't make any difference.

Gambling is easier than ever, I've worked with people who've done it on their phones instead of doing what they were being paid to do.

Sweets have dedicated isles in the supermarkets. As for booze, minimum pricing and whatever else has been introduced in around the UK, that's definitely not made a difference.

One day people will have to start accepting responsibility for their own actions and say no can't afford it. As for having 'sensible' family speaking to them, it's the quickest way to alienate someone and probably at a time they need emotional support.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • diystarter7

One day people will have to start accepting responsibility for their own actions and say no can't afford it. As for having 'sensible' family speaking to them, it's the quickest way to alienate someone and probably at a time they need emotional support.
    Thanks, fair points/experiences but the bit I've highlighted, I dont really follow. Emotional support for being careless and not prioritising one's responsibilities of paying your bills/rent food for the kids/heating etc?

Agreed warning may not work but surely it will save thousands as I said earlier.
    I'm glad I did not smoke and if there were warnings I'd steered clear of smokers/pubs and therefore IMO it does to an extent like most things. You have speed limits, and signs but some people will break the rules and some will follow them so worth a try .
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

Thanks, fair points/experiences but the bit I've highlighted, I dont really follow. Emotional support for being careless and not prioritising one's responsibilities of paying your bills/rent food for the kids/heating etc?

Agreed warning may not work but surely it will save thousands as I said earlier.
    I'm glad I did not smoke and if there were warnings I'd steered clear of smokers/pubs and therefore IMO it does to an extent like most things. You have speed limits, and signs but some people will break the rules and some will follow them so worth a try .

There's a wider discussion here really (and unfortunately there is no longer a discussion board on this forum where it could legitimately take place) about how much of a 'nanny state' we want to live in, how much responsibility we should take for our own lives, and how much we simply let people do what they want to even if it's not necessarily in their best interests. I expect almost everything advertised on TV could come with some sort of warning - 'Cake makes you fat', 'farming meat is helping destroy the rain forest' etc etc. You could argue that any form of advertising is trying to persuade people to buy products they donlt really need and there are more and more restrictions being brought in or proposed all the time - cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, toys during childrens TV, junk food before the watershed, etc etc etc...
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, emotional support as there's often unspoken underlying problems and concerns. Therefore, going in and effectively lecturing someone, who is probably struggling anyway, is the quickest way to increase pressure, stresses and make them feel like a failure.

You live in an idealistic world, most of us live in the real world and it's far from perfect.  I don't begrudge people trying to have one normal day a year, or a few normal days a different time of the year depending on beliefs, or no beliefs. 

If you want change, write a good petition and start gathering signatures or stand outside shops and protest. Better still volunteer and help people, they can then pass that knowledge and experience on.

P00sticks, I did resist mentioning about hot drinks being labelled 'hot' and other things to avoid using the NS words!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I'm not sure why a new thread was needed. This is the same discussion:
    UK XMAS adverts 2022 thread - Page 2 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

I'm not sure these warnings about gambling or drinking responsibly actually work.
  • We've all got Tony B Liar to thank for making gambling and drinking to excess much easier than before so people can lose money and get cirrhosis as easy as falling off a log. Cheers mate.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • diystarter7

You live in an idealistic world, most of us live in the real world and it's far from perfect.  I don't begrudge people trying to have one normal day a year, or a few normal days a different time of the year depending on beliefs, or no beliefs. 

----------------------------------------------------

At the massive risk of losing your property, going into greater debt where for certain one would not be able to keep up payments and the whole family/household to suffer for what - "one day a year" just because it's Christmas.

If warnings were pasted like with gambling/drinking/etc, more people would talk about it and I'm sure many thousands would be saved from massively suffering from increased debt for that "one day a year" and suffer for the other 364 days of the year.

Warnings are part of educating and must be tried. I acknowledge that it won't have a massive positive impact but if it saves a few thousand households from losing their home/rental etc then it is worth a try.

To address gambling/smoking/presents/sugary foods-drinks etc, education in school at all year levels year in and year out would massively help. With bills set to rise daily, quarterly etc (fuel and food) it is not the time to spend money one does not have as credit is nOT cheap and a recipe for disaster.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback