We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Question about E7 off peak box

Options
124»

Comments

• jadey2024
    Options
    It is fixed now. He came when I was out. I came home to find all heaters on and running. It looks like he may have just turned the switch on fuse box. Lol. That was all I needed to do. I know now for next time. But does look like panel heaters will not work too if the off peak is switched off so they are obviously wired to E7 somehow. 
  • jadey2024
    Options
    I am leaving storages on tonight to make sure they do charge. It is usually about 12.30-12.45am my off peak goes on so will be a late one. 
  • jadey2024
    Options
    molerat said:
    Are the fuse boxes in the same area as the meter ?
    Looks like those cables from the junction box go to each fuse box.  Both fuse boxes will therefore be live all the time so no dedicated off peak circuits.  I suspect the heaters are running off whatever supplies are close to them as the smart heaters don't need a dedicated off peak supply, they can be run by their own timer (which brings its own problems !) Which begs the question how is water heating timed ?
    The water immersion in all honesty is rarely on. But I ought to put it on to see of it is fine as been several months since last. I usually put it on every 4 or 5 months to make sure it's working but we rarely use the hot water.  We don't have baths. And I use kettle to heat water as wash up only once a day. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jadey2024 said:
    I am leaving storages on tonight to make sure they do charge. It is usually about 12.30-12.45am my off peak goes on so will be a late one. 
    From that wiring you have no dedicated off peak supply.  Everything is live 24/7 and the whole supply is charged at the cheap rate. You need to ensure the timers on the heaters coincide to when your supply switches to E7

• jadey2024
    Options
    molerat said:
    jadey2024 said:
    From that wiring you have no dedicated off peak supply.  Everything is live 24/7 and the whole supply is charged at the cheap rate. You need to ensure the timers on the heaters coincide to when your supply switches to E7

I will check. I had to change the time on the heaters when first installed. They were wrong and I didn't know the first couple months being new and the imstallers never mentioned a thing to me. I just thought it was set automatically but it was coming on during on peak although towards the end. Eon could only tell me about 12.30 so I set them to 12.30 but on checking last winter, it was never 12.30 as such more about 5 or 10 minutes later following that they'd start charging. 

• jadey2024
    Options
    molerat said:
    jadey2024 said:

Dies that mean it is wired wrong though? If 24/7 as you say? Do I need to contact Eon?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    jadey2024 said:
    molerat said:
    jadey2024 said:

I will check. I had to change the time on the heaters when first installed. They were wrong and I didn't know the first couple months being new and the imstallers never mentioned a thing to me. I just thought it was set automatically but it was coming on during on peak although towards the end. Eon could only tell me about 12.30 so I set them to 12.30 but on checking last winter, it was never 12.30 as such more about 5 or 10 minutes later following that they'd start charging.
    I remember that, we had a thread where we were figuring out how everything worked!
    Glad to know it's all back to normal now, hope you have a warm flat soon :)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jadey2024 said:
    molerat said:
    jadey2024 said:

Dies that mean it is wired wrong though? If 24/7 as you say? Do I need to contact Eon?

No, it just means you have to use the timers to turn them on and off rather than the meter doing it automatically. If Eon CS can't give a definitive answer as to when they change to off peak, the IHD might have a countdown to when the tariff changes.

Eon's responsibility also ends at the meter, so any wiring beyond that point is the responsibility of the homeowner (or landlord in your case). Also that particular meter doesn't support a second, internally switched, off peak circuit so they couldn't wire it up that way even if they were so inclined.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • jadey2024
    Options
    QrizB said:
    jadey2024 said:
    molerat said:
    jadey2024 said:

I remember that, we had a thread where we were figuring out how everything worked!
    Glad to know it's all back to normal now, hope you have a warm flat soon :)
    Thank you 😊 I can't wait to see what next winter will bring with the adventures of my new heaters lol. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback