We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Question about E7 off peak box

Options

Comments

• jadey2024
    jadey2024 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2022 at 5:01PM
    Options
    The storage heater that is working, I never left it on to do an overnight charge so can't say on that part. I only turned it on briefly when during my on peak times last night to see if it would switch on at all since the other one wasn't and i never planned for that one to be on so turned it off once i saw it was coming on. The LCD display/controls and convector works on it as it should at this point but I can't comment on if it is charging or not. All I know is, it is turning on unlike the other one. I think I'm going to wait for someone to come out to check all the connections before I leave any of the storages on beforehand.
  • jadey2024
    edited 5 November 2022 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Elnur heaters are a mystery to me I’m afraid - but could it be that the settings in the heater are telling it that it doesn’t need to produce heat at the moment as it’s not cold enough to activate it? If it’s set differently to the second one this could still indicate a screen issue, although I admit this could be clutching at straws! 

Further thought - have you checked your main fuse box to see if the heater has its own trip switch in there? 
    Normally at the current temps in this room it would come on. Just to edit, it's 14 degrees in the living room so cold enough for it to come on. The landing is much colder by  and that one came on although can't say for overnight charging as never left it on that long. I will check the main fuse box, when I looked yesterday, all the switches were up so none were down. 

I think we these modern storage heaters, there is more things that can go wrong with them. I must admit, I preferred my old 70s storage heaters I had before these were fitted. I always had enough heat in the evening with it too. 
  • jadey2024
    edited 7 November 2023 at 4:51PM
    Options
    jadey2024 said:
    jadey2024 said:
    Thing is I can't see the display on the storage heater to get in to the menu. The LCD screen is not coming on either. Normally the digital LCD comes on and can enter the menu to make changes or do reset from there. 
    The Reset procedure isn't a menu option - it's a "hold down a couple of buttons" and turn the power on method. I  wouldn't been too hopeful of it actually achieving anything though.
    Oh I see. Well I will have a look and try although my instinct is, it's poorly. I'm thinking maybe a  eon thing or he turned the off peak off and not on again or it was turned off during installation of the storages when put in during April 2021 due to wiring changes/differeces to old storages (Both new storages were definitely charging last winter as I would check, a flashing charge light comes on the lcd display when off peak kicks in and it was definitely doing that last winter. The last time I used it was in March and it was perfectly fine then too so between then and now, well completely off, something has happened) Now when the heaters were installed, the guys doing the installing told me to keep them turned on at all times at the wall plug, which I did, I never turned it off and only had to turn the on/off switch on the side of the actual storage heater on to get it to do its thing. It don't work or charge if that side switch is off despite it being switched on at the wall plug (They told me to keep the main plug switch on to not effect the configuration) I'm not sure if then it is possible that a fault has happened because it was still switched on at main plug despite side switch being off on storage that caused the off peak switches to turn off in a trip?  Think so many possibilities. Hopefully the estate agent will have someone out by end of next week. 
  • jadey2024
    Options
    They will be charged overnight, just not right now until an electrician has come out and checked the faulty storage heater and possibly wiring. 
  • jadey2024
    edited 5 November 2022 at 9:12PM
    Options
    If you're not going to let them charge overnight, then maybe Economy 7 isn't for you (since your day-rate will be much higher than the rate-cap).

As an aside, these heaters can display quite a lot of information (by simultaneously pressing the "sun" and "moon" buttons) :-

Yes I remember using those functions on it and was very familiar with it as it is quite easy to use, when it worked lol. Now I've a dead blank display. 
  • jadey2024
    edited 7 November 2022 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Well, that's 3 out of 4 heaters not working now. Very peculiar. The other two heaters not working are both panel heaters in the 2 bedrooms. They were installed where the previous old storage heaters were and are wired directly through in to the wall socket. All heaters worked fine when last in use in March.
    I'm thinking very odd 3 heaters not functioning and 2 which were previous wired where E7 heating units where once wired. I'm wondering, if when Eon fitted smart meter it has caused an issue. What confuses me though is the storage in living obviously works on the on peak feed so surely would go on even of the off peak is effected to it? And the panel heaters worked on and off peak periods last winter so dont quite make sence. I'm not sure how electrical systems work but I'm sort of wondering if the panel heaters are kind of connected to the E7 wiring system and why they are effected too. I've had to now email estate to tell them it's not one heater but three now. Hoping an electrician can come out today and figure out whats happening. My kiddo room is 12 degrees and obviously had no heating last night. I've not got my hot water tank on so can't say if that's effected. I've had to email eon too. I can't imagine that 3 perfectly good heaters all go on blink at once for nothing, far too weird. 

The high rentention storage on landing is switching on though although I never left it on to see if it does off peak charging but there was never a previous storage heater there. It seems what's effected is where old storages were once wired.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like the problem happened when they fitted the smart meter to me. The electrician will be able to confirm that.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Swipe said:
    Sounds like the problem happened when they fitted the smart meter to me. The electrician will be able to confirm that.
    I'm thinking this, too (hello again Jaydey!).
    Can you post a photo of the smart meter and the wiring around it?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I wonder, does the control unit have a battery backup?
    They could have all had their power supply interrupted at the same time, but different units had different battery conditions so some lasted longer than others.
    Purely guesswork on my part, I've no personal experience of storage heaters, although the electric radiators I had back when i was renting behaved that way if you switched them off at the wall.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd make sure you tell your letting agent to send only an old school electrician who is familiar with storage heaters. You don't want a young lad fresh out of college turning up who's never seen one before or it could take a long while to troubleshoot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback