Question about E7 off peak box

Options
I went to switch my smart storage heater on tonight ready to charge when off peak comes on but it won't switch on but well trying to troubleshoot I went to look at the electric boxes just to see if anything has tripped. I'm on E7 and there is an off peak box as well as the regular one. I noticed the switchesare turned off. Is that correct? Because I can't recall ever noticing or having reason to until now.  

Comments

• jadey2024
    jadey2024 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2022 at 3:32AM
    Options
    I have tried the other smart storage heater (Same model) and it came on right away, although I've turned it off now before the charge period but it came on with the display/convector unlike the other one. 

I believe these smart meters connect to both night and day wiring so maybe that's why it is off? Think 24 hour supply. It's elnur hhr storage heaters. 
  • jadey2024
    edited 5 November 2022 at 3:47AM
    Options
    The heaters I have, have digital displays and soon as you turn them on the displays come on and the convector fan comes on right away on getting room to required temp yet charges on off peak. The display or convector didn't come on at all with this other one. 

The other electricity box which displays the switches for the lights etc are all up so nothing tripped there and everything else working as it should. 

Eon came out in Aug to fit smart meter so maybe something was done then. But as they are modern smart storage heaters with slightly different wiring to the old style one, maybe the off peak is now meant to  be off. Just speculating of course. 
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this the first time you have tried to use them since the meter change?

Can you post a picture of the smart meter? Installation issues and economy 7 are not unknown and others may be able to troubleshoot based on images.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Hi OP - are these modern High Heat Retention heaters with two feeds - one for the overnight charge and the second from the  standard peak rate feed for the controls and to enable the “boost” of heat from the convection bit? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • jadey2024
    Options
    Hi Essex, yes that's what they are and yes it has two feeds  
  • jadey2024
    Options
    Is this the first time you have tried to use them since the meter change?

Can you post a picture of the smart meter? Installation issues and economy 7 are not unknown and others may be able to troubleshoot based on images.
    Yes first time since smart meter was installed, although the other storage heater works fine so just the one in living room not switching on. I will try get photo later. Although actual smart meter seems okay and has been collecting day and night kwh units. 

The storages are not even that old. Last winter was their first time in use. They were installed by a company funded by the government on that eco heat scheme. I'm renting and have sent an email to estate agent although won't hear until Monday. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It occurs to me it could be the LCD screen that has failed. Can you work out the sequence of button presses to get to the heat boost/convector setting, and see if that works? That could tell us whether it’s the screen or something more. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • jadey2024
    Options
    It occurs to me it could be the LCD screen that has failed. Can you work out the sequence of button presses to get to the heat boost/convector setting, and see if that works? That could tell us whether it’s the screen or something more. 
    I had thought that about the LCD display but normally the convector immediately starts blowing warm air out automatically as soon as it is switched on but it is doing nothing. Like the other storage heater, when I tried it yesterday after this one wouldn't work, it's convector came on right away. 
  • jadey2024
    edited 7 November 2023 at 4:51PM
    Options
    jadey2024 said:
    I had thought that about the LCD display but normally the convector immediately starts blowing warm air out automatically as soon as it is switched on but it is doing nothing.

Presumably the convector (or 'balancing elements' in Elnur parlance) and fan only start if the program is calling for heat. If it's been turned off since last Winter, there's a faint possibility it doesn't have the correct time set...

There are some manuals here https://www.elnur.co.uk/product/ecombi-hhr-high-heat-retention-storage-heaters/

Page 11 of the Installation manual details a Factory Reset option, should you wish to attempt that.

If you have one storage heating working properly (including charging overnight) and the "off-peak" fuse box is turned off, then where is the working heating getting its overnight charge from?  

I reckon this will come down to whatever changes were made, when the smart meter was installed...

Thing is I can't see the display on the storage heater to get in to the menu. The LCD screen is not coming on either. Normally the digital LCD comes on and can enter the menu to make changes or do reset from there. Literally nothing is coming on at all with this storage heater unlike the other one. And I have no idea about how the wiring works. I've sent an email to my estate agent so they will likely send the electrician out to look it over. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 November 2022 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Elnur heaters are a mystery to me I’m afraid - but could it be that the settings in the heater are telling it that it doesn’t need to produce heat at the moment as it’s not cold enough to activate it? If it’s set differently to the second one this could still indicate a screen issue, although I admit this could be clutching at straws! 

Further thought - have you checked your main fuse box to see if the heater has its own trip switch in there? 
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills