Sky high electric usage

Options
Nicksby
Nicksby Posts: 13 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper
I am with UW only have electric where I live and since moving to my house 1 year ago have been paying on average 250 per month. I have repeatedly challenged this with company and maintain my bills are correct. I seem to using way more than the average house hold. There are 2 of us in a small 2 bed bungalow. My lasted bill has come in at over 500 quid. Have tested appliances to see if any faults and tried to see if poss fault with meter. Checked the serial number on meter against bill and correct. I do have a economy 7 meter but had this changed to a single taffif but bills still display day and night readings. Keep complaining but don't get any where. 

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    Options
    What is your annual usage in kWh? Is your account currently in credit, do you have a debt?
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Plenty of people here will advise on how to audit your consumption. First please let us know the readings on your meter which you provided to the energy supplier when you moved in and the date of those readings, and also the readings today. You will have two reading for each date, i.e. day rate and night rate.
  • chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are electric only how are you heating your house?
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Following on from immediately  above re heating:
    - How do you heat your water?
    - are your shower(s) fed from a tank or are they self-heating standard electric style ones?
    - Do you have anything like an older American style Fridge Freezer, a pond or a fish tank, anything else that you could immediately identify as possibly being a higher than average user? (As a short cut here, have a think about things that heat something up or cool something down to start with as those are usually your biggest culprits)

As a first step though you definitely need to get a handle on what you ARE actually using - it may be that UW are wildly overestimating for whatever reason, and yes, I sympathise with your issue about them just not listening, I’ve been there! You do need to arm your argument with actual detail though - otherwise you’re just saying “I think this is too much” but every second caller they have is going to be saying the same at the moment, and 50% of those will be paying the right amount but just using more than they think! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @Nicksby     Please have a look at your bills - against the meter readings are there lots of E (for estimated, meaning UW is guessing what your consumption is) or A, C, or S  or Our Read or Your Read.  What were the readings 12 months ago and what are they NOW ?

What is your electric heating -  storage rads, underfloor, ceiling, panel heaters or (heaven forbid) traditional wet radiators with a huge tank ?

Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep complaining but don't get any where. 
    You have missed the most important thing out of your posts.  You haven't mentioned what you usage is.  Give us some ACTUAL meter readings that cover at least a year.    Then we can start analysing it.

I do have a economy 7 meter but had this changed to a single taffif but bills still display day and night readings.
    That is normal.  The single rate gets applied to the night and the day figures.

I seem to using way more than the average house hold.
    The average is misleading as there will be households with 1 person or even 0 people. There will be second homes drawing very little and there will be people with masses of consumer electricals that are left on standby permanently.  Or fridge freezers that are older than a few years that are drawing 6 times the power of the modern efficient ones.  Or dishwashers running on standard programmes rather than eco or tumble driers that use so much energy that they could account for 25-50% of your overall use.  Or halogen spot lights....     The list goes on but you haven't given us any detail for us to help.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Miser1964
    Options
    > I do have a economy 7 meter but had this changed to a single taffif but bills still display day and night readings.<

Probably the root cause of confusion, esp if you are using devices such as storage heaters meant for Economy 7
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 October 2022 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Miser1964 said:
    > I do have a economy 7 meter but had this changed to a single taffif but bills still display day and night readings.<

Probably the root cause of confusion, esp if you are using devices such as storage heaters meant for Economy 7
    This actually very useful info - @n@Nicksby please give us the readings for day and night.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Nicksby
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What is your annual usage in kWh? Is your account currently in credit, do you have a debt?
    14433 estimated annual usage. In debt
  • Nicksby
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Plenty of people here will advise on how to audit your consumption. First please let us know the readings on your meter which you provided to the energy supplier when you moved in and the date of those readings, and also the readings today. You will have two reading for each date, i.e. day rate and night rate.
    91365 day 80134 night that was 22/11/21  lasted read 2440 day 8408 night 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure