We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum: Freedom in Narnia

Options

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy birthday Jak! Sounds like you've put the gift money to good use.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 5,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Happy birthday for yesterday, jak 😀! What you are achieving for you and your son is staggering, I am in awe 👍👍👍
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Congrats on the holiday savings.

Hope the doglet is feeling better soon. Sounds like she's dealing with a lot, poor thing.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you @Merlin's_Beard. She is feeling a bit better today. Upping her tablets seems to have done the trick. Poor little girl. She is very delicate, although she throws herself around so much you wouldn't know it! I'm a bit worried her treatment will have to be extended now. Lots of £££ plus it's a bit rubbish for her. I'll see what her neurologist says next time she goes in - the week after next.

My Dad has finally managed to get home. He's got no phone line or electricity but at least he's safe. My Grandma is desperate to talk to him but no dice I'm afraid. She's very cross about it and keeps calling me to tell me about it, so that's fun.. I don't mind really. I just wish she was a little closer. My Dad's cousin is going for her birthday and wanted Creative boy and I to go but the littlest dog has her chemo that day plus Creative boy has school so it's not possible. I'm feeling a lot of pressure about it but there isn't anything I can do. I'm hoping to go a different day so I can celebrate with her then. 

I'm giving church a miss this morning, I don't want to leave the dog for too long. I am still going to Tes£o for a quick trip though. It shouldn't take long as Mum is driving and I really need some cat litter. My sisters cat will only use a litter tray and it's driving me mad. All the bits get everywhere and it smells no matter how much I clean in out. Horrid things- litter not the cat, she's so sweet. She follows me everywhere, purring loudly! She lived with a alcoholic for the first 2-3 years of her life and just hid the whole time. She LOVES living with me. She is so happy and has befriended the dogs. They have formed a little gang. Even my old lady cat is coming round to the love bombing. It's really sweet. My sister goes on about how much she loves her cats but it has been torture for them. She won't be going back to her although she doesn't know that yet. I can't stand by and let an innocent animal be put in a bad situation. Luckily she's not allowed pets so we are side-stepping the issue for now. I just hope she doesn't go out and get another one...

Speaking of my naughty older sister, she comes out on Tuesday and will be coming to stay with me. I have to say I'm not looking forward to it at all. She wants to be doing things all the time- mainly shopping and can't understand why I don't buy things all the time. I want to be careful with my money and use it for stuff that counts. She just wants to buy everything she sees. It's exhausting. She will go into a charity shop, think she's saving by shopping there and buy 50 items! I will go, see something I like, think about it for 3 days, then go back and get it if I still want it and it's there. Very different ways of being. I really hope she doesn't get drunk and start being a pain. I will kick her out if that happens- I've done it before. It's just stressful and we don't need it! Time will tell, I suppose... 

JAK
    x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    I've been with Mum this morning for her financial assessment for carers for my step-Dad. The result is they need to pay £250 a week towards his care. It all seems a bit much really as they've included my Mum's pension in his money. Is that right? Off to investigate once the paperwork comes through. I think the plan is to have one carer visit a day to begin with. To be honest Mum could do with a break. She's exhausted! I'm helping as much as I can, as is my brother. 

I've got quilting club later. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a total novice but have cut out my squares and am ready to start sewing. I really want to make a quilt for my Dad for his birthday. A slightly ambitious target. I think I'll be the youngest one there by a mile but that's ok as long as they are nice to me. I get bad anxiety about going to new things but I'm going to do it anyway or I'll never get over it. A friend called to ask me for coffee today but it clashes with quilting so I had to say no. 

Oh dear. I just realised I haven't got anything out of the freezer to cook for tea! Creative boy will be having pasta/pesto then. Good job I got some yesterday with my shop. I'd not bought any for AGES because of the price rises but Mr. T had a 3 for 2 on them so it worked out ok price wise. Creative boy Will be pleased, it's always been a favourite of his since tiny. 

JAK
    x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    Great excitement! Shell haven't done my bill yet but my usage is showing on their graph thing and we have used £22.84 in gas this month! Wooooo! It's been ruddy freezing, thank God for hot water bottles. It helps that I've worked out how to take my heating off timer! I'd been doing it wrong. I hope my sister doesn't complain about the cold while she's staying here. They will add the standing charge of course but I'm really hoping that will mean I nearly break even on our costs so far. I currently owe £48.90 due to the abnormally massive bills of Dec and Jan. I'd like to figure out a happy medium between being cold or broke... Wouldn't we all! The fire in the office helps of course. 

I'm still doing the sofa dance with Arg0s. They are swapping on the 8th. Assuming they bring the right sofa this time of course! Absolute rubbish. Never buying from them again for furniture. Creative boy has been eyeing a desk for the office. He's found one for £49 on Am so I'm thinking about letting him get it. I also would like a bookcase as all my books are stuffed on to the old shoe rack and not only do they look rubbish but the space isn't being used effectively. I've seen one I like. Then once the sofa arrives, that will be another room complete. Lots to think about. 

It's a funny old dance between getting the house the way I would like it and paying stuff off. I find the balance difficult but I'm slowly learning I think!

X

• jak
    Options
    Oooh the sofa has arrived and it's actually lush! Thank goodness for that. My sister is here and about as much use as a damp flannel. It's quite clear to me that she just wants to go back to her flat and drink. She is being no help whatsoever. I got Creative boy's new desk, 2 bookcases and cabinet today. It's all flat pack. I've broken the top of the desk already! Nightmare! I'm hating flat pack! Trying to do it by myself is hideous. 

The drill is now charging so I've got a reason to stop. Thank god! I really wanted to have the office totally kitted out and organised before Creative boy got home for a cool surprise. Instead there are bits of crap everywhere, I've hurt my hand and it's a disaster zone downstairs. The only good thing is the shoe rack I bought from my brother for my birthday has arrived and fits perfectly!  No more shoes everywhere! Just got to train the rest of the household now...

My sister has gone back to her flat for the afternoon. I've asked her to come back after her meeting tonight. It's her birthday tomorrow so I'm hoping she does. It's so hard because she doesn't want to be here but she needs the support. I'm making pasta bake for tea- stretching that mince! It will only do 2 meals this time as there are 3 of us to feed but at least it's easy, healthy and tasty. 

I'm feeling really fed up today. I hate that I can't seem to sort out this furniture. It will make the office much more organised and better to use. I hope Creative boy is able to help me later. I'm feeling really poorly now. I've very much over done it so tomorrow will be really tough for me.

I don't often want a man in my life but there are 2 occasions I miss having one:
    1. When I'm sick and want someone to make me soup/tea.
    2. When dealing with flat pack furniture

I'm happy to be single the rest of the time! Considering the state of my Ex's, I thank my lucky stars I'm away from relationship chaos. I'm better by myself.

Ergh. Right I'm off to have a rest then tackle the bookcase. Wish me all the luck...

JAK
    xxx

• Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Good luck with the flat pack furniture - I used to love helping to do stuff like that when I was a kid so hopefully CB can be the second pair of hands you need.

Definitely admire you for stepping up and being the person your sister needs right now, even  if it's not exactly what either of you want.
  • jak
    Options
    Thanks @Merlin's_Beard. She has gone back to her flat now so we shall see. I hope she manages to get well but I'm limited as to how much else I can do. 
    CB was Great putting the flat pack together! It all looks great now and I am deffo waiting for him to do it next time. 

We've just had parents evening and he is doing So well at school. I'm such a proud Mum. He is working very hard and is looking at 7-9 (A-A**) grades for most of his subjects! What a smarty-pants. With the exception of Spanish- 4-5 (C-C+)! He was forced to take Spanish if he wanted to do triple science and he hates it. I've told him I'll be happy if he gets a C in Spanish. His English teacher is especially happy with him, which was lovely. His Science teacher is going to call me tomorrow as the computer stopped working. He was just saying how well he's doing too. Ruddy virtual parents evenings. Although it's better than the handbags at dawn it was when it was in person. 

I'm a very proud Mum. He's a great boy.

JAK
    x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure