We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum: Freedom in Narnia

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got my refund of £86 today, still no sign of my gift card though. I would've thought they'd do it at the same time, but apparently not! I'll give them a call on Wed if I've not heard by then. 

I've just gel polished my nails. They look lovely and I'm happy to save money by doing them myself. I'm trying to grow my nails a bit before we go away! We got our holiday money today. It was very exciting! I also actually ordered myself some clothes yesterday! New ones! From sports D. I've got 2 pairs of trousers, 1 jeans, a vest top, a short floaty skirt, a t-shirt for my Dad's b-day and a xmas jumper for Creative boy's stocking. All for the grand total of £41.49- via top gift cards and TBC. I hope it all fits! The trousers are so lush! I've got loads of dresses so I def don't need any more of those. When I tried them all on, I found 15!!! And they all fit. My suitcase is going to have to be a big one! 

I still need to try on my swimwear. I've got a few bikinis if I feel ok to wear them and 2 swim dresses- for chubby days lol. My weight is now: 10 stone 8.6! That is the smallest I've been since I got sick- so 7 years ago! I'm well chuffed! My aim is 10 5 so I'm not far off, mind you the last few pounds tend to be stubborn. I've got 6 weeks and 2 days.... Not that I'm counting or anything...

I need to find/make another £150 ish plus pay for our estas. 

When I get back I need to save for a weekend away in London to see P!nk with friends, but I'm hoping to use 'free' money to pay for the majority of that. I'm really enjoying the challenges on debt free wannabe. They are helping me be super focused. I'm so grateful for this site! It's changed my whole mindset around money and is helping me teach Creative boy financial literacy.

JAK
    x

2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    I've added a few pennies from Qmee and TCB and I've got £122.85 to go for our holiday money plus whatever the estas cost. 
    x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    De lurking to say I have a lady who moves in to my house when I go away. She keeps my dogs in their normal routine and spoils them rotten! I found her by word of mouth which isn’t helpful to you. But look at trusted house sitters.
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • jak
    Options
    Thanks @MatyMoo, I'll have a look and see if I can find anyone. That sounds like just what I need xx

Had an accident this morning. The dog was being naughty so I tried to stop him but as I turned around I slipped on my trousers, landed on my knee and managed to kick and snap the skirting under the fridge-freezer. My knee really hurts, the wooden skirting snapped and I'm trowing the trousers in the bin. They are clearly dangerous and I cannot be trusted to wear them!

Off to church now, then Tes£o with Mum. Creative boy is coming today- not very enthusiastically. Should be good. It's always nice to spend time with her and I know she likes me going. Plus, it helps to have another person there to help with my step-Dad, who is going through a clothing removal stage. Every time he goes to the loo, he takes his clothes off- with the exception of his shoes- gets in the shower and waits. Isn't dementia fun! My poor mother! She's finally been given a tracker for him, so that should help. He's a bit of a runner when they're out and he's hard to find/catch. 

JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    We successfully negotiated both church and Tes£o. I got some great deals! I spent £27.55, £10 was a voucher from Toluna. I got mushrooms, butternut squash, french beans, carrots, an onion, a parsnip, swede, cheddar cheese, tea bags, 2 cereal boxes, breakfast bars, a whole chicken, ham, cat litter, frozen yorkshire puds, cooked salmon and a massive piece of pork reduced. The pork has been sectioned into 3 pieces and and frozen. Each will do 2 meals.  The chicken has also been frozen and will do 3 meals plus I'll make stock with the bones.  Creative boy takes a breakfast bar for break time at school so he doesn't have to buy something so it's worth getting some in. Saves me in the long-term. If he buys one at school, it costs 70p! I got a pack of 5 for 95p in Tes£co.

We had a roast chicken last night so today we are having mushroom, carrot and chicken hot wraps for tea with the wraps from to good to go.  Tomorrow will be chicken stew which I'm hoping to get two meals out of if I add rice or cous cous to it. I'll also start to use the chick peas in the freezer to bulk it out and add butternut squash, french beans, parsnip, carrots and swede.

I like cooking and seeing how far I can stretch meat. There's always some room for improvement though so I'm trying to make sure I get the very most out of our food budget, especially now with all the price rises. I saw that cucumbers have gone up to 70p now! Crazy! I hope they come down in price by the summer. We can get through one a day in the summer months so I'm not paying that for them!

• jak
    Options
    Creative boy is sick again. Literally. I'm going to call the doctors later. It seems weird that he keeps getting tummy bugs. Pretty sure it's not my cooking lol cause I'm ok. 

I'm doing well with this months make £10 challenge. I'm going for £20 a day now and I'm nearly there!
    Prime was mean't to go out today and hasn't, much to my annoyance. I wish they would take the money, I know where I am then!

My sister is coming out of rehab on the 7 March. She has asked to come a stay for a bit with Creative boy and I. I have said yes although I'm nervous about it. She upsets the animals, especially her cat who has come on leaps and bounds since living with me. She's a dear little cat. She used to spend her life hiding from the world when she lived with my sister but now she's a cheeky little girl who hangs out with the dogs and enjoys climbing, playing and stalking me! It's crazy to see how much she has blossomed in a safe environment. Bless her heart. 

I'm trying to cash out from Toluna but it's being a pest atm. Qmee likes me currently, so I'm managing to cash out on there most days.

JAK
    x

• kiss_me_now9
    Options
    Hi Jak, we have used an app called Pawshake in the past to find a cat sitter - I believe they do dog and house sitting on there too. Alternatively your local vets might have ads up? 

Sorry to hear about your Step-Dad and sister. Both Alcoholism and Dementia are cruel, cruel things. It's not uncommon for people to undress when needing the loo with dementia, I think it's something to do with the sensory aspect of it all. Still very difficult to deal with and makes things very hard. Does your mum have any support from external agencies? I know you've mentioned a tracker but there are sometimes sitting services or respite that you can access that could give her a bit of time away from the home without worrying as they'd have a trained professional there to see to his needs and ensure he's safe. 

Your holiday sounds wonderful, you must be getting very excited now! 
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• jak
    Options
    Thanks @kiss_me_now9 Both are fairly dreadful. Mum has had assessments for respite and carers coming in. We are just waiting for her financial assessment at the beginning of March and then support should be in place. Not a second too soon! 
    Thanks for the Pawshake advise, I'll have a look. I'm still hoping my sister will be well enough but I know I need to have a back up in place! 

My brother is going to look after step-Dad this afternoon as I can take Mum to food bingo. We have such a laugh, it's brilliant. So nice to see her happy. I won yogurts last time so I've high hopes we are winners this afternoon. It's so funny (and extremely competitive!) Nice to see Mum have a break and smile! Last time we went Mum had to go home in the break as step-Dad had an accident in the poo department and they waiting til she got back before we started again which was really kind of them.
    I now have a bingo dabber and am therefore a professional...

Creative boy has finally gone back to school today. Woo hoo! He Really wanted to stay off so I had to put a flea in his ear, which was a rubbish start to the day really, but he can't keep missing school. I am beginning to wonder about some sort of food sensitivity perhaps? He is getting tummy bugs so often. I'm not sure about how I'd go about getting him tested, I'll have to see if DR. Google knows. 

Money is OK currently. I had to get a new printer this week as my old one died in the move. I went via TCB and spent £76.98. I do have to have one though and I got a decent one I think. It prints, scans and copies so it will be well used. Prime finally went out yesterday. £95 though! Blimey. Again, I use it all the time but it's quite a hit all at once. I'll have to really think if I want to keep it next year.

Just observed the minutes silence for Ukraine with the critters. For once, they were still and no-one woofed all the way through. I hope the war ends soon. It's just so sad. I really feel for the Ukrainian people. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

JAK

• jak
    Options
    Well the bingo was a resounding success! Mum had a great time and got a line but no prize sadly as three people got the same line and they had to draw cards to see who won and she didn't. It was still great fun to see her shouting LINE! I got a line and a house! I won a massive stack of cakes: 5 packs! Woo. And potatoes, tuna and mayo. It was great and Creative boy is feeling much better now, so he's two packs of cakes down already. Unfortunately while we were out my step-Dad got out of the house! He went running down the road shouting about the bin. My poor brother- who probably should watch him more carefully- had to run after him and get him back to the house. They are now going to get a lock for the back gate so it doesn't happen again. 

I'm now 10 8.2! Woo hoo. That's the least I've been since I became sick, 6 years ago. My aim is 10 5, so not much to go, although I do tend to go up and down a bit so I'm not sure how long it will take. 5 weeks and a day until our holiday! We can't wait! We've not been away since before covid so it's been a while. 

We went to Te$co today. I spent £26 and got loads! More than enough for a week. Got a 750g mince reduced which will do 8-9 meals for the two of us. Also I paid mainly in vouchers from Toluna so it only cost me £12.12 in actual money. I also got pringles and Heinz beans free via shopmium and checkout smart. I'm saving my checkout smart money for Christmas. I've got £8.75 in there so far. My shopmium goes into holiday money so i'll be glad when my £1.40 (!!!!!) tin of beans goes through. What is the world coming to when a tin of Heinz beans is £1.40! That's insane!

I've still got 2 pieces of pork in the freezer, fish and a pack of sausages. I'll be stretching the chicken for the next few days. I need it to last at least 3 meals which should be doable. I've even started making my own gravy and stock so we don't waste anything. I like cooking and I'm deffo improving as time goes on. I'm hoping to keep my grocery budget to £30 this week. I only need to buy a big bag of potatoes and onions. I've got everything else in for loads of meals. I've also been making sure to freeze even small amounts of leftovers so on Friday we have 'it's a surprise' day. And eat up whatever has been frozen to make sure we really cut down on food waste.

There were virtually No vegetables today, luckily I've got some carrots in and managed to get a stew pack.

JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    Well I made a lovely roast chicken last night. I was yum! Unfortunately the cat agreed and ate it while it was cooling off on the side! This is the cat who will only eat one type of cat food! Little s*d. I'd already served up thankfully so we got one meal out of it! 
    Chicken now in the bin- minus the bits picked off for the doggos, who were thrilled! It does mean I'm two meals down though, which is annoying. Tonight we are having left over chicken stew from the freezer (from the last chicken) with cous cous. 

I got to tes£o earlier after church and got some great reductions. I spent £10.59 and got 2 bags of potatoes, 2 quiches, 1 large bottle of coke, 3 packs of wraps, some sliced chicken, beef stock, flap jacks, millionaire slices, and a loaf of bread. The coke and the fancy bits are for my birthday on Friday. I'm doing buffet food here as it's easier than going out. I'll need to get some other bits before then but hoping to keep to a budget of £20. I'm just doing meat, cheese, bread, quiche and cakes. I won loads of cakes so I won't need to get anymore of them. I also bought 2 sets of bras, but they don't fit so will be going back. I really do need some before my holiday though. I've not worn a proper bra since before covid and since I've lost weight none of my old ones fit me anymore!

My naughty sister comes out of rehab on 7 March. She has asked to come and stay. I spoke to Creative boy and he agreed. We just hope she can stay off the booze once and for all. It's exhausting. I'll have to speak to her about using the washing machine though. She literally does washing every day- 2 socks sometimes and just tips the washing liquid in. Last time she stayed she used a whole pack of washing liquid in 3 days! It normally lasts me 2 months at least. It did my head in!

My Dad will be coming on Friday. He lives in the states so it's always special when he comes over to visit. Creative boy and Grandpa spend hours taking about science. It's very lovely. I also need to scrub Narnia within an inch of her life before Friday! Bloody Argos have changed the date of the sofa swap AGAIN so it won't be happening until the 8 March now. I'm very fed up with them and they STILL haven't sent me the voucher they promised. I'll have to chase it up...

Toluna has been good this week. I got £35 in vouchers. Some Tesco and some Amazon. I also got a refund from Amazon for a parcel that went astray. I'm using my Amazon vouchers fro my sisters birthday present. I'm getting her a beach set up- a bag, waterproof blanket, towel and water bottle. It will be her first summer by the beach so I thought it might encourage her to get some fresh air and lead a healthier lifestyle. I can hope, anyway!

JAK
    x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback