We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum: Freedom in Narnia

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had official work from my doctors and they have agreed to treat both Creative Boy and myself even though we've moved. What a relief. The doctors where I am now take weeks to get an appointment so I was concerned about that. My current doctors are so good and they know all about my health needs, so I'm very happy about that! 
    I couldn't sleep last night, my legs were killing me. I feel a bit better now though so that's good. 
    I just reported my final total for the make £10 in Jan challenge and I've managed:  £382.95! I'm so chuffed! It's a combination of vouchers through Toluna, £co, TCB, Qmee and Ccat. Ccat won't let e do anymore for some reason, I'm locked out. Feb make £10 a day will be more challenging as I've cashed in most of my money on the cash back sites. I'm going to give it a good go though. I still need the rest of my holiday money!
    Creative boy's teachers are on strike tmr so he'll be home schooling. Ergh. Reminds us both of miserable days during lockdown so I'm going to make a lasagne for tea to cheer us up. My sister will be with us as she's due out of rehab tmr... I hope she manages to stay off the booze this time. It's been 10 years of relapses so far so I have to say I'm concerned it will be more of the same. I try to be supportive but it's getting really old! Time will tell I suppose. Creative boy told me the other day that he doesn't remember Aunty sober, ever in his life, which is sad. On the plus side, he doesn't ever remember me drinking, which is amazing! 
    We have so much fun together, all totally sober. I'm trying to bring him up the opposite to the way I was. So far, so good (I hope!)
    Have a lovely day folks! Not long til the Spring time now!
    JAK
    x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    What a day! Creative boy spent Ages putting the lasagne together for Aunty, then she decided at the last minute not to come and stay. She said that it was the families fault she relapsed because we expect too much from her. This is total rubbish. She has not spent one minute helping with our step-dad since she moved here and has had Creative boy for one sleep over in 4 months. I'm very sad about the whole situation. I want her to be well but not at the expense of my own or Creative boy's mental health. 
    I spoke to her about trying to be consistent and turning up with she says she's going to. I pretty sure all she heard was 'JAK's being mean to me'. Ergh. Oh well. She's mean't to be seeing Mum for a cup of tea tomorrow. I'm hoping she turns up for once.

Mum is having a terrible time. Step-Dad's dementia is getting really bad. She had an assessment today from the OT's and they were very helpful. They will be giving her a tracker so when Step-Dad runs off she can find him, adapting the shower and have referred her to several other agencies for carers etc. Hopefully it will be a quick-ish process. She really needs the help now and there's only so much I can do to help.

On the money front, I went to the Shell garage all excited about my 3% off voucher, only to use the app wrong and miss out! I was SO CROSS. Creative boy took the mick out of me all the way into town, little monkey! Eventually he said he'd GIVE me a pound just so I shut up about it.... Cue much laughing and no, I won't be taking his money!

I got £14.84 in interest today! Thank-you Barclays Rainy Day Saver and make £1.43 from Qmee. Toluna has started to limit the surveys I can do in a day so I'm going to have to investigate some other sites. I've signed up to the Feb make £10 a day challenge and it's going to be tricky! However, I'm determined to do my best. If I could actually get round to listing some stuff for sale that would help! I'm sure I've got load of crap lying around. I may have just moved but I'm a bit of a saver of stuff 'just in case.' Well NOW is just in case! I need the money for our holidays!!!

Happy Feb folks!
    JAK
    x

2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    Creative boy and I had a ROW this morning! This is Very rare. He woke me up by yelling that none of his school trousers fit anymore. Apparently I should have known this, despite the fact he didn't tell because he left his trousers on the floor... Not being a mind reader, I was unaware that this mean't they don't fit. He then expected me to have the next size up immediately by jedi magic. He was most disappointed to learn that I had no idea, I thought he was just being messy as usual and that I expected him to go to school with his too small trousers on. He ended up missing the bus and now is late for school! Little monkey! I've told him he is not getting a story this evening as I do not appreciate being shouted at, especially at 6am! Creative boy has Autism so he has different needs. However, he is very able to tell me if his trousers don't fit! Anyway, thank you George, I've ordered some more to pick up on Monday and he will have to cope until then. They fit Tuesday so I'm not too worried!
    I need to include clothing in my budget and create a separate pot. My budget is weekly as my money comes in dribs and drabs. I have £100 a week for Food and Spends. However, this has to cover food, petrol, entertainment, cleaning products, well everything really so I need to get more specific. I also need to add to them weekly. 

I need new pots for:
    1. Clothing £5 pw
    2. Petrol £25 pw
    3. Cleaning products inc. washing liquid, dishwasher tablets £3 pw
    4. Entertainment- bingo £7 every 2 weeks, coffees out, cinema with Creative Boy £7 pw
    5. School trips- last week was £20 for a London art trip for example £3 pw

That should do it for now. Now I need to go back over my budget and make sure I can include the new costs. I do my budget in a little book in 4 weekly increments. I just did it yesterday for the next 4 weeks so will need to revisit, and decide what to do with any excess I have. Petrol is the only one where it may be useful to put any excess in a different pot, the rest can just stay there so I can use it when needed.

JAK
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Jak

I've read through your diary so far an wow I'm impressed at the savings you have as a single parent. 

I want to exppress some concern with the over payments. You have paid 5k already and aiming to do another 5k in march. I'd be careful of your overpayment limit which is usually 10 percent of the mortgage taken out which I imagine would be 10k.if you pay more than the 10 percent you will be hit with early repayment charges. 

You have mentioned about phoning when doing overpayment to make sure.its against capatil but can you not set it up online? 

Who is your lender maybe some other people can help so you don't need to phone up. 

Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jak
    Options
    Hi @Sncjw thanks for the advice. I've decided to save for now rather than overpay to get a cushion behind me for now. With interest rates being higher than my mort rate I think I'll stick with that for now. Thank you for the advice but luckily I don't have an overpayment limit thankfully. 
    Ergh disaster has struck in a very 'first world problem' sort of way! The new sofa I bought from Argos when I moved has been recalled! It's a fire risk! Thrilled with it's placement in frond of the open fire...... ! It has to go back and I had to choose a different one. The first 5 I liked were sold out so I had to just pick one that looks ok. I'm not thrilled about it tbh. It looks a bit cheap. It's a Habitat one but the material is almost like linen. My old one (the flamethrower) is chenille and really cosy. I'll have to see what it's like when it's delivered, which BTW is costing me £80! The new one is more expensive than the old one was so I'm having to pay some of the difference. It looks cheaper but costs more. Riddle me that! Anyway it's coming on Feb 16th so I'm really hoping I actually Do like it in person. I'd paid on a gift card so couldn't just get a refund and run. 
    Grrrrr. Bloody Argos!
    JAK
  • jak
    Options
    In more adult-y news, I've got an electrician coming to look at the light fitting in the hallway on Monday. The lampshade I attempted to put up is still firmly stuck and I'm pretty sure the entire light fitting needs replacing. Tbh all the light fittings are really ancient and could do with replacing but I'll start with this one! I've no idea what that will cost but it's the electrician my Mum uses are she's happy with his work and prices. Next on my list will be the garden wall. I need to start actually getting jobs booked in and not being scared of tradespeople. Today the adult Social Services guy came and fitted a rail on my stair wall. It's so lovely! It goes all the way up and it's proper wood and looks really posh! I can either leave it or paint/varnish it. I'm leaving it fro now but if it starts to get grubby I'll stain it I think.
    I also need to get the paint out and start giving downstairs a coat. I'll need to do one room/wall at a time and pace myself but I'm really hoping I'll be able to manage it. I've got everything I need - just got to get motivated now! Creative Boy is at his Dad's this weekend so I may be able to start then. 
    JAK
    x
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jak said:
    Hi @Sncjw thanks for the advice. I've decided to save for now rather than overpay to get a cushion behind me for now. With interest rates being higher than my mort rate I think I'll stick with that for now. Thank you for the advice but luckily I don't have an overpayment limit thankfully. 
    Ergh disaster has struck in a very 'first world problem' sort of way! The new sofa I bought from Argos when I moved has been recalled! It's a fire risk! Thrilled with it's placement in frond of the open fire...... ! It has to go back and I had to choose a different one. The first 5 I liked were sold out so I had to just pick one that looks ok. I'm not thrilled about it tbh. It looks a bit cheap. It's a Habitat one but the material is almost like linen. My old one (the flamethrower) is chenille and really cosy. I'll have to see what it's like when it's delivered, which BTW is costing me £80! The new one is more expensive than the old one was so I'm having to pay some of the difference. It looks cheaper but costs more. Riddle me that! Anyway it's coming on Feb 16th so I'm really hoping I actually Do like it in person. I'd paid on a gift card so couldn't just get a refund and run. 
    Grrrrr. Bloody Argos!
    JAK
    If you over pay you will save on interest that's building up on the mortgage daily. Have a play about with overpayment calculator on mse it will show how much interest.you can save and also what works out better to put in savings or.over pay 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jak
    Options
    Oooh brilliant thank you. I'll have a look xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    You get better sofas that are preloved than the newer ones that are made to poorer standards unless you go for very high end.

Glad you are getting the adaptations. Well done for asking.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • jak
    Options
    Thanks @doingitanyway I agree. The original sofa was from Family Fund which is why it was new so I have to get a sofa with the refund from Agos. I much prefer second hand for sofas. My last one was from 1978 lol and was the most comfy in the world. It was too big for my new house though so I had to get rid of it. 
    I'm glad to have the adaptations. It's already helped!
    JAK
    x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback