We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum: Freedom in Narnia

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, it's been a bit of a shock to be honest! I'm fully wrapped up with my hot water bottle now. On the plus side, the animals are loving it! 
    I'm doing all I can to save in other areas. My meal planning is going really well, especially using the slow cooker. As it's just myself and creative boy, I can make each stew stretch to 2/3 meals using rice and cous-cous. That's helping. 
    My 'year of the survey' I've decided will pay for Xmas/gifts and holidays spends. So far I'm doing really well and managing to cash out between 1.50-3 every day. I've just got to stick with it and remember that each penny counts! Today I've finished a week long survey that should give me £10 Amazon voucher. It didn't take long at all. I also received my £20 Am voucher from Toluna today so that's perked me up. I Really want some cushions for the front room, so I'll probably use them for that and then transfer the £30 into gifts/holiday accounts. 
    My mort OP fund is at £3,226.52 but I won't over pay it until it hits £5,000 as that's my limit for the rainy day saver and it pays more in interest than my mortgage rate. 
    JAK
    x
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    £3 cashed out today from Ccat! Woo! £2 to holiday spends and £1 to Xmas gifts. x 
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    Today has been toluna survey day. Fun fact: If you do too many, you get blocked for the rest of the day. I didn't know that til now. Anyway, I did 15 today- my aim is 4 usually but Creative Boy is off school sick so I can't go anywhere. Poor little thing is throwing his guts up! I hope he feels better soon!

Ccat hasn't let me do much today and Qmee has Eventually given me a pounds worth. I'll cash that out in a but. I got £10 for the week long short survey I did today in Am vouchers so that's great and has gone into the xmas/gifts pot. I've also transferred the £20 cash from the toluna voucher into my holiday spends pot which is now speeding towards £300. My aim is £500 by the beginning of April when we go away.

I've also decided on a bday gift for my sister and will use Am vouchers for that so essentially it's free to me. The budget for her gift is £40, which is less than normal but I've got less spare now so that's that!
    My new mission is to get £60 Am vouchers a month from toluna. It's doable if I really blitz it and would make such a huge difference to my finances. Especially when it comes to the extras- like presents! Creative Boy's bday isn't til July but his budget is £100 so I need to have that ready to go really. 

No movement on the mort op pot since yesterday although I'm hoping to be able to add a little on Friday as I haven't had the expense of any food shopping or petrol since he's been off sick. The only thing I'm a bit miffed about is that he will miss his singing lesson tmr and I've already paid for it. It costs £26 a week so it adds up considerably over the month/year. I've asked him to give it up next school year as he will be in his gcse year and I would prefer him to concentrate on that. Plus he is doing grade 5 this year so grade 6 at the same time as his gcse exams seems a bit rough. 
    Anyway, enough waffle from me!
    Be back tomorrow,
    JAK
    x

• jak
    Options
    I've smashed my first make £5 a day target! I've gone over by a couple of squids so I'm now aiming for £7 a day. Toluna has been really good to me over the last few days so I cashed out another £20 Am voucher today. That gives me £50 in Am vouchers now for gifts etc. Woo! 
    Creative boy has been off school all week! Dreadful tummy bug. On the plus side it's saved me £30 in petrol and £30 in food as he can't eat anything. On the negative side, I'm doing a crazy amount of washing!
    I'm excited about tomorrow afternoon. Mum and I are going to bingo at the YMCA. I'm so sad. We don't do much for fun so are very much looking forward to it. 
    I'm also pleased that I've lost 4 pounds so far in Jan. 8 more to go til my holiday. I've got tons of clothes to fit back in to. Saves buying more although Creative Boy will need some. 
    I've decided that after I've saved £500 spending money, I'll need £200 for travel to London and £100 for Creative boys wardrobe- I'm hoping that Toluna continues to be kind so I can use some vouchers for that rather than cash. Either that or I'll have to use my points for cash instead. It all seems rather overwhelming but that's probably because I spent a fortune on ski gear in Nov/Dec for Creative boy's school trip.
    Mort OP wise I'm hoping to be able to transfer the food money tomorrow as we have enough in and I will eat whatever so it should be spare. It'll be about £50 ish so that's a good effort.
    Ccat has decided I can't cash out again until Sunday, which is annoying and makes me not want to do it...but I will... Up to £2.4 ish so aiming for £6 by Sunday. Every little helps!
    Cashed out £2.98 from Qmee earlier so it's been a bumper cash out day. £co money should be in my bank tomorrow so I'll happily divvy that up. Should take me over £300 holiday spends. I've got a fair way to go but I'm on the right track.
    JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    Creative boy's singing teacher is giving me half off for his lesson yesterday thank God! I've already paid so I'll take it off next months money. It all helps.
    JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    I got my £co today. Woo hoo! Divvied up between hols and xmas/gifts making my new totals:
    Hols: £307.80
    Xmas/gifts: £93.77
    Very exciting. 
    Toluna doesn't like me today. Mainly because I woke up late so I missed a lot of surveys. I'm going to have to keep checking throughout the day as I've only done 2 surveys, my aim is 4 but I've maxed out the last two days and I'd like to keep that streak going. 
    In house news, my M and S lamp has arrived with my 1 of my new lamp shades so I'll happily be putting that together later, weirdly the other lampshade is coming separately. Odd. So I won't be matching downstairs until that arrives. It will still look a LOT better though.
    Creative boy is still sick but has turned a corner I think. He's not been sick since yesterday morning, so I'm hoping he starts to feel better soon.
    It's my older dog's birthday today! He's 7! Bless him, he obviously has no idea but I'll give him an extra treat later. 
    I keep getting council tax bills for my old address. I emailed them to remind them I've moved and therefore don't have to pay it but all they did was change the postal address at the top and send me the same bill again twice. Still the bill from the old place though. Weird. So I'll have to email them again I suppose. Seems a waste of time but I don't want to get a missed payment marker for a payment I don't have to make. That's just silly!
    Off to bingo with Mum later. I'm very excited about it too. She needs the break and it's in a church hall type thing so hopefully not expensive. 
    JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    OMG great excitement! I just got my broadband genie reward for my Shell BB in the new house! £115 Amazon voucher. Now my gifts/xmas pot is at £208.77- £115 in Am vouchers and £93.77 in cash. I'm so happpppyyyyy!!!!
    JAK
  • jak
    Options
    Just got my £20 Am voucher from Toluna! What a day! Gifts pot now £228.77. Insane!
  • jak
    Options
    Oh dear! I got my M and S order today. The lamp is beautiful and looks great! The lamp shade.... I tried to put it up and it doesnt work but unfortunately I can't get it down! The bottom part is WELDED SHUT! I am so grumpy, I've had to call a handy man! I'm waiting for him to call me back. I hope he can do it. God knows what it'll cost though. I'm seriously fed up and just feel totally useless. When I called, whoever answered the phone laughed at me. I know it sounded silly but that didn't help matters. I just feel like whatever I do to try and make the house mine doesn't work and it's all ancient and just bits fall off it! Ergh. I'm in bed now having a rest. I just can't adult anymore today....
    JAK
    x  
  • jak
    Options
    Ok, back to adulting today. Creative boy kicked off his slipper yesterday and the stairs bit him... Broken foot! He had a x-ray this morning and we are waiting to find out if it's broken in two places. One is certain. Poor little guy has got a massive boot on. I HAD to take him to school although I would have preferred him to stay home. I feel sorry for him. I also wish he had been more careful as now I'm going to have to give him lifts all week which is a bit of a pain. 
    My holiday fund is doing well, I'm up to £316.56! Woo hoo. This is the spending money part, which I'm saving first. I'm pretty settled on getting a taxi now to the airport and back. It will cost about £300 in total but the cost of the train plus hotel and meals out would be about the same so it's going to be easier to do it that way. That will be my next mini-mission, after I reach £500 spending money. 
    My xmas/gifts is now at £231.87 including my Am voucher so nearly half way what's needed for the year. I'm going to stop saving into this until after our holiday now so that should speed things up. 
    Mortgage OP pot is £3439.52 (I forgot to take away xmas/hols money before) so that can stay put until I reach the savings limit on the account, which is £5000.
    I got petrol at the Shell garage near me today and because I get my gas from Shell, I got 3% off. Most excited to show Creative boy the 90p I saved. He was slightly less enthused. 
    Toluna has only let me do a couple of surveys today which is annoying. I was hoping to cash out by Wed but I'll need a fair few more to be able to do that. I'm aiming for one £20 Am voucher a week now but secretly hoping for more! 
    JAK
    x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback