We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum: Freedom in Narnia

Options

Comments

• jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I got a  bit of a shock today. Creative boy gets the bus twice a week to school and it's £3.50 for each day. I've budgeted for this so it's ok. He told me that they have raised the prices and got rid of the daily saver he usually gets. Now his bus ticket is £6.50 A DAY! How insane is that price rise! It's because he has to get a ticket for two areas- 2 buses. Without the return being available it now costs that! I'm going to have to see if I can get him a monthly ticket for cheaper I think. I've also emailed the council to apply for school transport. You never know! He's a registered young carer and that was on the tick box bit so maybe. 

My poor Dad may well be stuck in the U.S. He went away to a bee conference (he loves his bees) and unfortunately a massive storm came in and his road home has been closed. He can't get home to get his passport. He's driven to the passport office to try and get emergency travel documents but is having no luck so far. I'm pretty gutted. So is my Grandma who will be turning 99 (!) in March and has been looking forward to seeing her son enormously. It's all a bit rubbish. I really hope he manages to sort something out.  He contacted his US MP person in the hope they can help. Creative boy is a little crestfallen as he has been promised a very exciting trip to the tank museum and I really don't want to have to take him myself...

I've done really well for Feb make £10 a day challenge, although I have a confession to make.... I've left a few bob in the survey sites/quidco/TCB so I can cash out for the March challenge. What a total saddo. My Feb total is at £569.69! Helped by my money find of course but even so, I can't believe it!

Toluna has paid for my sisters birthday present in Amazon vouchers today. Thank you very much! She is having a beach bag, towel and picnic mat for the summer, plus a couple of beauty items I got in a box I didn't want. It sounds dreadful when I put it like that but it's a lovely gift and she will be happy with it. 

I need to get Grandma a gift but she's really hard to buy for. She has everything already. I usually get her bird feeding stuff, she says watching them is better than TV. I got her a load of Christmas though so I'll need to wrack my brains and try and find something else. At least I have money for birthdays squirrelled away so it's not too much bother. I've saved a fortune in survey sites and vouchers this year already. I also found some xmas stocking fillers when I moved that I'd forgotten about so that's really helped. 

I've booked a guy to look at my fallen wall on Friday! Feeling very grown-up while hoping he doesn't cost a fortune!

Right, off to look for a suitable gift for the cantankerous one, she's allowed, she's going to be 99!

JAK
    x

2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • jak
    Options
    It's official, poor Dad is stuck in the U.S. No luck getting emergency travel docs, he still can't get home to get his passport and has now missed his flight. He's super fed up, as are we all. Grandma is going ape-sh£t! I'm sad for her. I expect I'll be on the phone to her hourly for the next few days. She is going to be 99!!! Can you even believe it! We can't even go down for the day as the littlest doggo in the world needs to be picked up from her chemo at 3 that day and we can't move it. Oh dear. He's said he will still try and come over in March but he's not sure when. 

Creative boy is thrilled to have tomorrow off school for the strikes. He's planning on doing the work set tonight so he can have the full day off. He's going to Grandmas to help make my birthday cake at 2 tomorrow and is thrilled about it. Their relationship is so lovely. I grew up with my Grandparents round the corner and I remain very close to Grandma.

I've done a tally of the holiday fund! I've managed to make £757.24! Only another £42.76 to go! I've cashed out nearly £10 from £co and TCB today plus £5 from Qmee. I'm not counting it until it's in my account though. Toluna is being a pest today. It won't work when you try and request the award for some reason. It's annoying as I've got enough for another £10 Tesco voucher and I really want to order it! Hopefully it behaves itself tomorrow. 

In rather sad news... My TV is on it's way out. It keeps turning off and on and making funny noises. You will be able to tell when it happens by the deafening screeching from Creative boy... It's driving him mad! I would like to get it sorted properly. We can't get live TV at all. We only watch it live when the football's on and I'm a celeb but as I dutifully pay my TV licence, it would be nice to actually use the thing! Good job it's my birthday on Friday. I suspect any birthday money will go towards that.

I went shopping today for my birthday buffet thing I'm doing on Friday. I didn't get loads because I had to carry it but managed to get decent ham, beef and chicken, plus Italian meats. Mum is bringing the cake plus I've got some in so I'll just need to pick up french stick, butter- the real kind, olives and salad on Friday. I won't need as much now my dad can't come and my sister has extended her rehab trip. 

xx
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    For your Nan's birthday gift could you assemble her a mini afternoon tea? A nice sandwich, a homemade scone and/or slice of cake, a sausage roll or piece of quiche, and some nice teabags? I did it for my Mum last Mother's Day and she loved it (especially as I splurged and got the sandwich from M&S :D )
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • jak
    Options
    Oooh @VintageHistorian that is a lovely idea. I don't live nearby but I could send it as a hamper type thing and ask her best friend to assemble it. She would enjoy that. The best gift I ever got her was for her 90th. I wrote to all the celebrities she loves and asked them to send her a card. 4 actually did! It was so cool. She had a party so for my speech, I read them all out to her. It was very exciting. Whatever will I do for her 100th next year to top that- well the King will send a card so I'll make sure to organise that. I really hope she makes it. She's a tough old bird, my Gran. 

My poor Dad is still living at a hotel desperately trying to get home. It could be days before he manages it. He's finding it all a bit difficult. People in his home town are completely cut off and some of them are running out of food and fire wood. Not good. Luckily it's a tiny place with a great sense of community so they are sharing resources. My step-mum is currently trying to use the frozen battery of her car to charge her mobile phone as the power has been out for days. I'm hoping he gets back soon and the weather improves. His mental health suffers when he has to stay away too long. 

Creative boy is off for the strikes today. He's thrilled. I've got a PIP to do at 11am today with a new service user. I'm hoping it's fairly simple but we shall see. The DWP can be a little tricky sometimes...

Toluna Finally let me cash out via the mobile app yesterday so I've got £10 Tes£o voucher winging it's way to me soon, hooray!
    I need to go to Tes£o later and take back the clothes I bought the other day. They don't fit And they left the security tag on them. That should be £17 back which I'm going to use for my birthday tea tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it!

JAK
    x
  • jak
    Options
    I got a load of points from a 3 day survey from Toluna so I've cashed out another £20 Am voucher, plus £5.84 from Qmee the past few days. That takes my holiday pot to £783.06! I just need £16.94! Woo hoo! I'm well chuffed. 

I took back the clothing for a refund at Tes£o of £17 but I'm not using that towards holiday stuff because for some reason it feels like cheating, lol. I'm going to carry on with Toluna and Qmee etc and try to make the rest of it by Tuesday next week. That's my mini target. Then I'll need to start making/saving for P!nk- which will be about £400. I'm hoping for less as we are going to get the coach to London rather than the train which should be cheaper, more reliable and much more comfy! I'll have to look in to a disabled coach card. I'm not sure whether the cost will be worth it as I tend to get trains more when I go away with Creative boy.

Imagine if I could pay for my holidays this year with tilly tidies, toluna, Qmee and selling stuff! That's insane! To be fair my flights were bought and paid for before I started but even so...

The garden wall man is coming tomorrow at 2pm. I've no idea what the cost will be or if he'll just quote and go but my Mum uses him and says his rates are fair so I'll just have to see. It's my birthday tomorrow! I'll be turning 45!!! Good grief! Inside I still feel about 19, but with a much more sensible outlook on life than I used to have. The old me would be proud of how things have turned out. 

Off to find some more surveys. That £16.94 is bugging me!

JAK
    x

• jak
    Options
    Hooray! It's my birthday. I have reached the grand age of 45. Crazy. My Mum, Step-Dad and brother are coming round for a buffet tea later so that should be fun! Creative boy has been busy painting me pictures of all the animals for my birthday. Unfortunately they fell, wet face down last night so he's starting again. I don't mind though. He's so talented and I'm looking forward to putting them up on the wall in the dining room. I'm not opening my cards until later, so a quiet day so far. 

My naughty older sister called yesterday to say she's had enough of rehab and wants to leave early. This roughly translates to 'they are being mean and I don't like it.' She is being challenged, quite rightly, but doesn't want to do the work. This is a very bad sign. I was fairly blunt and told her if she left she would feel my boot up her..... I very much hope she stays. It's only until Tuesday and she did pay for an extra week. She was moaning on about her post not be collected. I had to remind her that it's been total chaos with Dad being stuck and poor Grandma very upset. I don't think she cares though as that's not about her. Ergh! 

I got a lovely £15 off voucher for hot diamonds via email. Very nice too. I've ordered a necklace I've wanted for Ages with it! Yay. 
    I very rarely wear jewellery, mainly because cheap stuff brings me out in a rash. My skin has expensive taste...

I went to a cool craft fair yesterday with Mum and she got me lots of quilting bits. I've also ordered a rotary cutter, cutting board and proper ruler from Amazon from Grandma for my birthday. Everyone will be getting slightly wonky but made with love quilts this year for Christmas! Yay. I love sewing and I'm excited to properly start my new hobby. I've got lots of bits of material now and will be claiming a space in the office for all my gear over the weekend. Gaming rubbish, move over!

I'm looking forward to my meeting tomorrow with trusted friends. I'm hoping there will be left over birthday cake to take. 

Right off to wash my hair. It's giantly long so takes ages. I've put the heating on as a treat since it's my birthday.

JAK

• Four_Seasons
    Options
    Happy birthday, have a lovely day x
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy birthday. 

If you get any spends for your birthday please treat yourself with it..don't put it to mortgage or Debts. 

You need to treat yourself sometimes. 
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• VintageHistorian
    Options
    Happy birthday Jak!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • jak
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm having a lovely day! Hot diamonds necklace was out of stock BUT they let me choose any other necklace for no extra cost so I'm getting a beautiful rose gold belcher necklace worth £60! Woo hoo! Don't worry I'm spending my birthday money on ME for once. I'm getting sewing things for quilting. So far I've ordered pins, proper scissors, 2 acrylic rulers, a cutting pad and rotary cutter. The rest of my birthday money will go on wadding and backing material once I've decided which colours I would like. My Dad usually gives me money too but I've not decided what to spend that on yet.

I'm having a lovely day! I've washed my hair and am finally going to get dressed, clean the floors downstairs and then chill with my book.

JAK
    xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback