Large Amount of Scam Texts Since Joining O2

I've been with O2 for just two days and today have already received three spam texts.
They have a lot of warnings about it, more so than any other operator I have been with and a friend got scammed as they were porting their old number over (someone called, confirmed their house number and name, then asked for a code they sent by text - mistake was there but as the person knew my friends details, seemed half legit).

Only had these problems with O2.

The cynic in me thinks their overseas operation base - someone is taking data away and selling it to scammers.  Seemes to make sense.

Left Smarty - no scam texts at all. Ever, in over 12 months.
Don't assume - just answer the question as best you can with the information you have.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most spam messages are automated and done at random. 
    Different providers are better at filtering it out than others.  Also make use of the features of the operating system in Android or iOS where available.
  • Left EE and joined O2 within the last two weeks.  Huge increase in spam calls since then, very concerning.  Found your post when Googling the issue.
    Only had these problems with O2.

The cynic in me thinks their overseas operation base - someone is taking data away and selling it to scammers.  Seemes to make sense.
    Agreed.  And don't knock a healthy dose of cynicism!

• virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    User36750 said:
    Left Smarty - no scam texts at all. Ever, in over 12 months.
    Did you take (PAC) your old number with you or have a (new) number allocated by O2?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback