• Daliah said:
    Zanderman said:
    Daliah said:

OnePoundDD give 50% of their revenue to the following charities:

Amnesty International
    British Heart Foundation
    Great Ormond Street Hospital
    Has anyone seen proof for this?
    I'm not sure what 'proof' would be satisfactory - to prove they actually give 50% to charity they'd have to be telling all - with proof - re their profits (otherwise no-one would know what 50% is), as well as showing what they've given to charity. 

A company's profit is viewable to the public. For example, here are the latest accounts filed by OnePoundDD: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10272900/filing-history

The claim was that they'd give 50% of their revenue, not their profit, to Charity. This strikes me as a little strange because it's a lot more (at least percentage-wise) than 50% of profit. 

Though looking at their accounts, the company doesn't appear to be a money spinner so I rest my case.
    Micro entity accounts don't show revenue, let alone what is or isn't donated to charity, so all we can glean from them is that OnepoundDD doesn't have more than one of the following:
    • An annual turnover of more than £632,000
    • A balance sheet total of more than £316,000
    • An average of more than 10 employees throughout the year
    I don't think there is anything strange in promising to give 50p of every one pound direct debit payment received to charity, however, it will be very difficult for anyone to prove or disprove it from information made available to the public.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Again, isn't it just easier to set up £1 a month direct debits with the charities directly? Unicef and Medicins Sans Frontieres both accept £1 a month direct debits. 
  • jbrassy said:
    Again, isn't it just easier to set up £1 a month direct debits with the charities directly? Unicef and Medicins Sans Frontieres both accept £1 a month direct debits. 
    It is as easy as. 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,729 Forumite
    Hope it does cost those charities money. The ones mentioned so far are utterly dreadful. 

Less than 2% of donations go to where they claim
  • binao
    binao Posts: 666 Forumite
    Hope it does cost those charities money. The ones mentioned so far are utterly dreadful. 

Rather like High Street chuggers. :o
  • Hope it does cost those charities money. The ones mentioned so far are utterly dreadful. 

Which ones?

The US has an independent group called Charity Watch that reviews charities and where the money goes

Unicef is A rated, with 84% program percentage - amount spend on programs relative to overhead and they average $12 spend on fundraising to get $100

Doctors without Borders (USA) is also A rated with 85% of spending on projects and $13/$100 

Oxfam (USA) is B+ rated with 74% of spending on projects and $22/$100

I think I used up my free goes on the site so I don't know about Amnesty. Obviously BHF/GOSH are not on there but The Charity Commission covers them for the UK but it's not really as clear. How you define "less than 2% go where they claim" and given your lack of any evidence to support your claim, I don't see much more point continuing  if you cannot support your argument
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

Which ones?

The US has an independent group called Charity Watch that reviews charities and where the money goes

Unicef is A rated, with 84% program percentage - amount spend on programs relative to overhead and they average $12 spend on fundraising to get $100

Doctors without Borders (USA) is also A rated with 85% of spending on projects and $13/$100 

Oxfam (USA) is B+ rated with 74% of spending on projects and $22/$100

I think I used up my free goes on the site so I don't know about Amnesty. Obviously BHF/GOSH are not on there but The Charity Commission covers them for the UK but it's not really as clear. How you define "less than 2% go where they claim" and given your lack of any evidence to support your claim, I don't see much more point continuing  if you cannot support your argument
    Agree with you, most charities spend most money on charity work!  #penners324 is completely wrong to claim these charities only spend 2% on their cause and that they are 'utterly dreadful'.

penners324 may have been thinking about the confusion caused by the 'beneficiary gift' schemes - 'buy a goat', buy meals for a month' etc popular a few years back and which some charities still promote. Those got a bad name a few years back when it was revealed that the money 'for a goat' might go into a general pot and may never buy a goat. 

Why this was a surprise isn't clear - as, fairly obviously, if a charity was given money to buy 10000 goats and they only needed 1000 they wouldn't waste the rest on 9000 unwanted goats, they'd use it for something else that was needed. 

But it was, oddly, a surprise to many - spawning articles like this one:  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2006/jul/14/ethicalbusiness.internationalaidanddevelopment#:

Bottom line though is that the money, goat or no goat, is still used for the charity.

• TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2022 at 9:41AM
    I used them years ago Mayghal was who I dealt with.
    He was excellent with multiple email comms when time was very short ..... I havent used them recently though . 
    Posted it at the time on here I believe when multiple halifax ac,s needed lots of DD,s just for one month
    Result was it worked perfectly far better than I could have ever expected .

So if you need to get the DD job done for your personal financial benefit which is why people are on here in the first place then In my experience  onepoundDD are 100% positive .

At one time he posted on here but as soon as the usual dogs started barking he never came back .

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2022 at 3:46PM
    I've just had an email from Mayghal to say that GoCardless will no longer deal with onepounddd. No more direct debits will be taken until he finds someone else to deal

Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback