PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Examples of surprising prices

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    YorksLass said:
    ... nutmeg especially always makes me think of hm rice pudding.
    Bread sauce in my home!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    That rings a bell @KxMx.  Marks sign their farmers/suppliers up to a year long (?) contract, while others buy on the hop as it were.  So Marks' stuff will go up to 'normal' prices, but are cheaper atm 'til the contracts run out.
    China is the world's largest supplier of Bibles: one factory in Nanjing prints over a million a month.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i got some earl grey from approved food recently for i think 1.50 a box. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 October 2022 at 8:21PM
    Options
    No pic unfortunately but £12.50 for 4 x AA batteries  :#  (not even Duracell!) from Sainsbury's at Southend-on-Sea!!!!
    Was a bit of an emergency buy so had fork out but as a devoted MSE it was painful..... didn't think they'd be more than £4 a pack. So next time you're at Wilko or Ikea... stock up!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mrs_Z said:
    No pic unfortunately but £12.50 for 4 x AA batteries  :#  (not even Duracell!) from Sainsbury's at Southend-on-Sea!!!!
    Was a bit of an emergency buy so had fork out but as a devoted MSE it was painful..... didn't think they'd be more than £4 a pack. So next time you're at Wilko or Ikea... stock up!

Blooming 'eck, were they rechargeable by any chance? Sounds the sort of price for those
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Mrs_Z said:
    I haven't set foot in there for years, ever since they started messing around with the prices for car parking. Although its large-ish I find the store at Rayleigh Weir far more convenient when driving home. 

@danny_x - which vino was this? I ended up filling my trolley the other week as the YS were few and far between but the 25% off 6 bottles offer seems to be reasonably frequent.

No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • pumpkin89
    Options
    KxMx said:
    I'm sure that I read something on here that M&S signs long contracts or something, so the price they pay for some things is fixed for a while, hence the stable and currently reasonable prices. 
    It's funny how quickly we all adjust our perspectives on what is a reasonable price.  It's really not that long ago that the typical price jumped from £1 to £1.50 and we were all up in arms, now we think £1.70 is perfectly reasonable  :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure