Options
2»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zorybip said:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/learner-drivers/guides/supervising-learner-driver/

Penalties and fines

This is one of the first questions many supervisors ask when considering teaching someone how to drive. As supervisors are considered to be in control of the vehicle, the penalties for breaking the law are the same as if you were driving. So, as is the case with driving offences and penalties, this means you could receive a fine, points on your licence, or even be sent to prison – depending on the severity of the crime.

“Could”, but has it ever happened except perhaps in the most serious cases? Any examples?
  • Grey_Critic
    Options
    zorybip said:
    As said above a stand alone learner policy means if they have a bump it does not effect your own policy.   

This is so much not so if you are supervising you are responsible for anything that happens and would have to declare to your insurers 

Liability is totally irrelevant - The OP asked a question about insurance for someone learning to drive. I and others have pointed him in the direction of Learner Driver Insurance Cover.  

We don’t need to start confusing the issue with **In the event of* comments. As his own insurance will not accept the risk no doubt he will confirm with them they will accept this arrangement and he has already stated they will have professional instruction.

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I insured my 18 year old on my Golf GTi, I think it was £70 a month , Marmalade ?. Brilliant but I never did claim, he drove my car so much that in the end he used it for his test in the end.

I too had never heard of it before, I tried to put him on the insurance now and they declined ! Which considering he has his own policy with a 2 seater mid engine sports car was a bit odd not to even quote, guess I'm walking back from the pub !.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Be aware that top up learner policies tend to have to be cancelled as soon as they pass and so you will have the conundrum of buying a short policy thats more expensive per day and having to renew if they dont pass quickly or buying a long policy at a cheaper per day rate but then having to cancel it mid term with the usual costs

Depending on where you are in your policy cycle and how quickly they want to get started it may be worth while awaiting until the natural renewal and then look at getting a new policy with them as a named driver which will automatically mean it goes to an insurer happy with learner drivers.

Sounds like you are with a broker at the moment, they are under no obligation to do so but some will sometimes waive their fees for cancellation if the current insurer cannot accommodate a requested adjustment as long as you buy a new policy from them... that may still leave you with the insurer's cancellation fees but these tend to be the smaller ones when dealing with a broker.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback