Insurance underwriter won’t insure learner

Hi all

My 50 yr old partner is wanting to learn to drive, having never driven before. We’ll pay for professional lessons but I was hoping to put him on my car insurance policy. However, for unclear (atm) reasons, the underwriters don’t generally cover learner drivers. I don’t want to change provider and they are looking at options. However would it be possible for us to have a separate policy from another provider to cover my partner in the same car?

thanks
andrew

Comments

• Others will be more knowledgeable but when my grandkids learnt to drive they were able to take out insurance to drive Dad’s car - that ceased when they passed the test - rather surprised the underwriter has not pointed you in that direction.

• saker75
    saker75 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you. I’ll speak to them tomorrow.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2022 at 10:21PM
    I searched for ** insurance for learner drivers uk**   

Have a look at this - there are others.

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes, it is perfectly possible to get a second policy just for the learner to use. Does not need to be with the same provider and has the advantage that if the learner has an accident it will not impact your ncb. 
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Google learner insurance, first two results are Marmalade and Veygo. Both are stand alone policies for the learner but require that the car insurance in the owner's name as well. Compare the market do a learner insurance comparison page as well.

I have just had to sort this out for my daughter. Marmalade were cheapest and very easy to set up. cheaper than adding my daughter to my own insurance. The longer period you take the cheaper it gets. Monthly was about £75 a month. Taking 6 months drops it to about £50 a month.

As said above a stand alone learner policy means if they have a bump it does not effect your own policy. 
  • As said above a stand alone learner policy means if they have a bump it does not effect your own policy.   

This is so much not so if you are supervising you are responsible for anything that happens and would have to declare to your insurers 
  • Collingwood are very good (but my daughter had her own car so not quite your situation).  Insure for a year and if/when they pass their test you get a refund of an balance due.
  • saker75
    saker75 Posts: 338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone, this was completely new to me!
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zorybip said:
    As said above a stand alone learner policy means if they have a bump it does not effect your own policy.   

This is so much not so if you are supervising you are responsible for anything that happens and would have to declare to your insurers 
    Any evidence to back this assertion? The comparison sites usually ask whether YOU have had any accidents, claims or convictions. By your logic a speeding fine would also go to the supervising person which is clearly untrue.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/learner-drivers/guides/supervising-learner-driver/

Penalties and fines

This is one of the first questions many supervisors ask when considering teaching someone how to drive. As supervisors are considered to be in control of the vehicle, the penalties for breaking the law are the same as if you were driving. So, as is the case with driving offences and penalties, this means you could receive a fine, points on your licence, or even be sent to prison – depending on the severity of the crime.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback