Bought ex out, now wants furniture

Options

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "He should buy them at 50% value in my view."

She should pay 50% of the value on what he leaves behind on that logic ?
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

You will both have to communicate to reach a fair agreement.

Who bought the furniture items originally, if you both bought them then share them as fairly as you both can. 

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Additionally you can’t go on the value of what was Need for them. Because that was from new and they are no longer new so they are not worth the same as when you bought them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2022 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Sorry, but you don't just magically become entitled to all of someones stuff because they transferred their equity to you... obviously. Equity in the property has absolutely nothing to do with personal possessions, landlords obviously can't just roll into one of their tenants houses and take their cars and TV's.

My ex and I negotiated a fair price for the house and also negotiated a fair value of the goods inside (about £2k). This included anything that could be removed easily (e.g. furniture, TV's, fridge, etc) and not fixed goods or furnishings (e.g. oven, dishwasher, blinds, etc). We then agreed that I would pay her 1/3rd of the original price for the goods (the earlier suggestion of 50% was odd, the goods aren't new...).

You should have agreed this as part of the transfer of equity.

Personally, I think your mindset is also wrong (e.g. your comments of "the main issue now is how would he prove the items were bought together and he had a stake in them? Are receipts required?"). It's generally counterproductive to start by jumping straight to 'court' in our thinking. Have a long conversation with him - come to an agreement of what the split will be, maybe sign something to that effect and move on with your lives.

You don't want him turning up every other day demanding more stuff that you thought was yours, just as he doesn't want you trying to scam him with "as I now own the house, I now own ALL of your stuff mwahaha!"
    Know what you don't
  • *pinkie*
    Options
    Exodi said:
    Personally, I think your mindset is also wrong (e.g. your comments of "the main issue now is how would he prove the items were bought together and he had a stake in them? Are receipts required?"). It's generally counterproductive to start by jumping straight to 'court' in our thinking. Have a long conversation with him - come to an agreement of what the split will be, maybe sign something to that effect and move on with your lives.
    Unfortunately I am not dealing with a rational individual who wants to move on or thinks I have the right to …
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately I think you are dealing with someone who is trying to control you.  It is normal behaviour for some people whose relationships have ended.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *pinkie* said:
    Exodi said:
    Unfortunately I am not dealing with a rational individual who wants to move on or thinks I have the right to …
    badmemory said:
    Unfortunately I think you are dealing with someone who is trying to control you.  It is normal behaviour for some people whose relationships have ended.
    Yeah, without being 'Captain Hindsight', as I said, the best time to negotiate this was as part of the transfer of equity. They would have been far more motivated to reach an agreement on the furniture, as they wouldn't be able to receive any money without it.

Realistically, you need to state that you are only willing to work towards one final agreement on the furniture, and there will be no more additions after this. He can not collect odd bits of furniture until you reach this formal agreement on everything. There will be no legal recourse as you are trying to actively resolve this.

On the flip side - you're not completely innocent in this, as while you paint them as controlling, you are also thinking of bamboozling him by trying to keep the furniture (because you own the property).

It sounds like you both need to work together and move from your positions to make this work.

Depending on the value, there are some people that would just hand over all of the furniture to have them out of their life (not saying this is necessarily fair).
    Know what you don't
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    *pinkie* said:
    So let them have the stuff. It's just stuff.

Make a list, send it to them, and let them pick what they feel is fair. 

Let them take what they want them be rid of the tw*t. Life is too short to worry about stuff.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    badmemory said:
    People trying to control someone rarely move out and allow a transfer that easily.

Sounds like a reasonable request but the OP is coming across as bit entitled. The guy has lost his homeand all the furniture and is asking for a few items that mean something to him.

Been through it and my EX made almost weekly visits wandering around the house, in the end I had to call time and say enough is enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback