Bought ex out, now wants furniture

Options

Comments

• *pinkie*
    Options
    Yes, I would have agreed prior to the sale. He’s moving the goal posts.
  • *pinkie*
    Options
    I suppose the main issue now is how would he prove the items were bought together and he had a stake in them? 
    Are receipts required? My point is, he could just say he owns everything in the house.
  • unforeseen
    Options
    *pinkie* said:
    I suppose the main issue now is how would he prove the items were bought together and he had a stake in them? 
    Are receipts required? My point is, he could just say he owns everything in the house.
    The opposite applies as well. OP is already trying to say they own them all. 
  • *pinkie*
    Options
    Not saying I do, asking what proves this? Surely can’t go in word of mouth? Is it receipts? 
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Recepts sometimes have a name on, bank statements would show transactions.
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • maisie_cat
    Options
    Anything the OP has purchased since the ex moved out, or before they were together is theirs, anything that the ex purchased before they were together is his.
    Everything that was purchased while together belongs to both unless there is evidence that one party or the other purchased it and was not reimbursed half by the other. In the absence of any legal agreement go around the house with post it notes and decide which category everything falls into.
    If the actual items ex wants are equal or less than half the "joint" items, let him have them or decide if it's worth the fight. 
    When I was in similar circumstances, the few hundred quids worth was a small price to pay for never having to see him again.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anything the OP has purchased since the ex moved out, or before they were together is theirs, anything that the ex purchased before they were together is his.
    Everything that was purchased while together belongs to both unless there is evidence that one party or the other purchased it and was not reimbursed half by the other. In the absence of any legal agreement go around the house with post it notes and decide which category everything falls into.
    If the actual items ex wants are equal or less than half the "joint" items, let him have them or decide if it's worth the fight. 
    When I was in similar circumstances, the few hundred quids worth was a small price to pay for never having to see him again.
    I can agree with your last sentence.  The freedom of never having to see or deal with an ex again was why I let him take the lot.  You can start again with second hand, and it stops their arguments dead.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    *pinkie* said:
    Not saying I do, asking what proves this? Surely can’t go in word of mouth? Is it receipts? 
    When my ex bought me out it was purely on the property. The property wasn't valued as 'furnished' if that makes sence.

Contents was listed, mainly large things separately, and smaller things grouped together. With next to it who bought what. 

We split it monetary, so he got the sofas but I then had more items roughly totaling the same - so I took more than 1 item for his 1 sofa (if that is clearer).

If he doesn't have reciepts to prove he bought it and you do, then you keep it. And vice versa. If neither can prove who purchased then negotiate on that item. 

You can then both sign the document and each keep a copy. 

If you know one of you bought it but can't prove it, as long as you agree you can do what you like. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Retireby40
    Options
    You seem to have bought him out of the house. But not the contents. If over the years he has contributed to the cost of sofas, tvs, computers, wardrobes etc then of course he has a say on them and every right to demand half. 

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He probably doesn't even really want the stuff but if he can have you worried that to him is a win.  Even HMRC are quite happy for the valuation of household goods on a deceased's estate to be only £500 even on quite a nice property.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback