Is there a CC that will allow a super balance transfer to clear overdraft?

I am looking to clear approx £1000 of overdraft using a credit card which I will then clear with a 0% card

is there such a card available?

Comments

• You need to look for a "money-transfer" card : https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/money-transfers/
    Assuming you're accepted for one, this is probably your best bet.  2 things to bear in mind:
    Firstly, there will be a fee for doing the transfer - factor this into your budget.
    Secondly - you absolutely MUST put plans in place to clear the full balance from the card by the time the promotional rate expires.  Otherwise, any remaining balance will attract interest at the standard APR which will be much higher than your overdraft - with no guarantee that you can shift any remaining balance to another 0% card. Whether you put money aside each month into a separate account or whether you just calculate what monthly payment will be required to clear the balance by the end of the promotion, it doesn't matter.  Just so long as, one way or another, the balance is cleared.

• Martico
    Martico Posts: 929
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 September 2022 at 3:19PM
    The other option is a 0% spending card: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards/

If you get one of these, you can use it for your daily spending rather than your current account, which should hopefully stay in credit once you are paid. And you'll have a given period to pay it off in full. Probably 12-24 months, depending on your creditworthiness. You'll have a minimum to pay every month, of course. Slower than an immediate transfer, as it will only displace supermarket, travel spending etc (but not DDs). So it may take a couple of paydays to clear the OD, depending on your circumstances. But it should be fee-free.

However, it is still new debt, so be absolutely certain that you can budget well. If your finances have been weak enough to lead to a consistent overdraft, then more debt may well be the worst thing you can do. I'd prioritise writing a full and frank budget first and sticking to it, or the problem can quickly spiral.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 23 September 2022 at 12:07PM
    You may be better off making an agreement with your bank to repay the OD at an affordable monthly rate, instead of trying to deal with it by further borrowing.

Banks will suspend or stop interest if your struggling, all you have to do is ask them.

If you have been struggling to service the OD, how will you service this new debt?

Consolidation is rarely the answer to debt problems, it may give you temporary respite, but unless you change the way you deal with your finances, you will just end up back in a similar position 6 months from now, but with more debt that you cannot service.

After all, if the ship is sinking, you don`t want to be making the hole in it any bigger now do you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JBEAN
    JBEAN Posts: 47
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you all for your good advice…I will weigh up the options..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback