PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Cut

123457»

Replies

• scroogemcduck2scroogemcduck2 Forumite
    14 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Due to exchange today. First time buyers and our purchase was just over the old 500k threshold for first time buyers relief. Looks like we're saving over £11k. Crazy!
  • alreeve27alreeve27 Forumite
    67 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I exchanged last week and due to complete today. Presumably now eligible for this saving? I called my solicitor who said she is looking into it as it had just been announced, but seeing as the rates have been updated online and it has not yet been paid, it should qualify? My friend is completing today also and was told by her solicitor that it doesn't count as she has exchanged already, which sounds like nonsense to me? Thanks
  • JinglishJinglish Forumite
    44 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Exchange is irrelevant for duty cuts it's completion date that matters. I would guess completions today would still be eligible.
  • kiomukkiomuk Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    Welcome news for me as I'm soon to complete my purchase of a UK property.

As I currently live in Jersey and am moving back to the UK I'm technically non-UK resident so I get hit with an additional 2% SDL.  I was going to be paying £8759 on a purchase price of £267,995.  OK, I would claim back £5360 as will be becoming UK resident within 364 days of completion but it was the initial outlay plus the extra hassle.  

I'll let the dust settle then see what my conveyance says the new figure will be.

Every little helps!
  • JinglishJinglish Forumite
    44 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I exchanged 3 weeks ago and due to complete Monday 17th so will benefit from £2.5k in stamp duty. There are talks of U turning the mini budget. If stamp is revered back on or before the 17th would I have to pay the £2.5k? I only ask because normally when a reduction is made it happens immediately but when an increase is made there is notice given. If they were to reverse it back is it fair to assume they would set a future date say 1st Jan 2023 rather that it being instant. I’ve spent the £2.5k already 😬 
  • user1977user1977 Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jinglish said:
    I exchanged 3 weeks ago and due to complete Monday 17th so will benefit from £2.5k in stamp duty. There are talks of U turning the mini budget. If stamp is revered back on or before the 17th would I have to pay the £2.5k? I only ask because normally when a reduction is made it happens immediately but when an increase is made there is notice given. If they were to reverse it back is it fair to assume they would set a future date say 1st Jan 2023 rather that it being instant. I’ve spent the £2.5k already 😬 
    Generally increases don't apply to transactions which have already exchanged.
  • BigBossBigBoss Forumite
    170 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chances of this being reversed?
  • LavenderLamb101LavenderLamb101 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Keen to know about this too.

• RM_2013RM_2013 Forumite
    421 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ha ha same I was delighted to learn I’d be saving on stamp duty costs.
    i guess speculation due to new chancellor? 
  • SDLT_GeekSDLT_Geek Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is little chance of the SDLT cut being reversed in my view.

It was announced in Parliament yesterday that the Stamp Duty Land Tax Reduction Bill is expected to pass all its stages on 24 October.  That is needed to put into permanent effect the changes already in effect by virtue of the Budget Resolutions of 23 September 2022.