PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that referencing house prices may be sometimes be pertinent to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please refrain from going off-topic into broad, general debates about the housing market, the economy and politics. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Cut

Sounds like there'll be a stamp duty cut announced on Friday (I believe The Times first reported on it, but it's been picked up by quite a few news outlets). Any thoughts and speculations?

(Our purchase has been dragging on for months and months, so it'll probably benefit us, although I have to admit I was surprised)
Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
Current: £47,300 (-£33,400 savings pot)

Replies

• Chemistry777Chemistry777 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    A lot depends on when it may be implemented.   Typically a cut like this would be effective from the announcement date, as if it was not, then everyone would be delaying their purchases, which would cause (even more) chaos amongst conveyancing firms.

Sounds like a move to assist FTB's so perhaps just raising the initial threshold upon which is stamp duty is due?  Who knows?
  • propertyhunterpropertyhunter Forumite
    510 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The bank rate increase tomorrow will be at least 0.5% if not 0.75% (so financial pundits will say). I'm not sure how much a SDLT cut will help at this point. The Bank of England and Government are singing from different hymn sheets right now. Government is stoking inflation with tax cuts, and BoE is trying to quash it. The fact that Liz Truss is not going to provide an outlook for the UK economy from the OBR is worrying. The pound is already very weak.
  • donutandbeerdonutandbeer Forumite
    97 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    Our purchase has been dragging on as well… Would love to benefit from the cut 🤞
  • onemouseplaceonemouseplace Forumite
    11 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ours has been limping on as well so I suspect this announcement may either make or break it. 
  • user1977user1977 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure a reduction in tax intake is what we need, especially one targeted only on those who can afford to buy a house (and happen to be currently doing so).
  • dosh1dosh1 Forumite
    102 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am likely to complete on a house purchase end of November.  I am not a FTB as I am selling my house and buying a new one.  My property is £510,000.  

Is it likely the proposed cut in stamp duty will impact on me?

• Chemistry777Chemistry777 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    dosh1 said:
    I am likely to complete on a house purchase end of November.  I am not a FTB as I am selling my house and buying a new one.  My property is £510,000.  

Is it likely the proposed cut in stamp duty will impact on me?

No one knows until Friday but,I think pretty much any restructure will help everyone, whether this be moving the thresholds or changing the %ages.   Also timescale of implementation will have an impact
  • James_DJames_D Forumite
    49 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A lot depends on when it may be implemented.   Typically a cut like this would be effective from the announcement date, as if it was not, then everyone would be delaying their purchases, which would cause (even more) chaos amongst conveyancing firms.

Sounds like a move to assist FTB's so perhaps just raising the initial threshold upon which is stamp duty is due?  Who knows?
    I'm due to complete 4 October .. I hope you are right. 
  • knowlesv83knowlesv83 Forumite
    10 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We have already exchanged and will complete on Friday - I am assuming that we won’t benefit from the stamp duty cut even if it is announced on Friday and effective from that date. Did anyone get put in this situation on the last stamp duty holiday?
  • edited 21 September at 11:34AM
    Chemistry777Chemistry777 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 21 September at 11:34AM
    Last time it was effective from the date of announcement and applied to completions on that day. (from google)