PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty Cut

Replies

• user1977user1977 Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Last time it was effective from the date of announcement and applied to completions on that day. (from google)
    Yes, that would be the norm if you're paying less. When there's an increase, it doesn't apply to those who had already exchanged at the time of the announcement (as they wouldn't have had a chance to budget for it).
  • edited 21 September 2022 at 11:25AM
    mojo293mojo293 Forumite
    82 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 September 2022 at 11:25AM
    Hmm, so potentially if they announce something on friday, and I complete next Tuesday, could I benefit, if its all encompasing (i.e. not just for FTB's) or is Stamp Duty locked in at exchange?

Doesn't matter if not, as I have budgeted to pay the SD anyway, but it would be a nice bonus to potentially have it reduced for my purchase (£175k, so currently £1000 SD to pay).

• trakky14trakky14 Forumite
    393 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our sale and purchase has been limping on for weeks, hoping to exchange this week but solicitor delays mean it looks unlikkey...so we may benefit, we shall see. 
  • BG88BG88 Forumite
    7 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Would this apply in Scotland? We are due to complete tomorrow. Could we delay until Friday? Any thoughts appreciated.
    9.3K Posts
    Forumite
    mojo293 said:
    Hmm, so potentially if they announce something on friday, and I complete next Tuesday, could I benefit, if its all encompasing (i.e. not just for FTB's) or is Stamp Duty locked in at exchange?
    Like I said, it's only "locked in at exchange" where it's an increase. Or at least, that's what normally happens. So you may well benefit if it's reduced.
    9.3K Posts
    Forumite
    BG88 said:
    Would this apply in Scotland? We are due to complete tomorrow. Could we delay until Friday? Any thoughts appreciated.
    This is speculation about what Westminster might (or might not!) do in relation to SDLT, which only applies in England and Northern Ireland. It's possible the Scottish Government will do something similar with LBTT (they have tended to follow such things roughly) but whether they'd do so immediately (or at all) is a different question.
  • We have already exchanged and will complete on Friday - I am assuming that we won’t benefit from the stamp duty cut even if it is announced on Friday and effective from that date. Did anyone get put in this situation on the last stamp duty holiday?

I don't know if you're the buyer or seller, but either way, just because you have exchanged doesn't mean you can't agree jointly with the other party to cancel the exchange and re-exchange once the stamp duty cut comes in. If the seller doesn't want to delay, just offer them a chunk of the stamp duty saving. Extra cash in pocket often smooths the path to an agreement :wink:
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why do we keep having this government by newspaper article though?  It's a good job we aren't at war.  Well yet anyway.
  • TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    All speculation - who knows ......we are in between exchange and completion at the moment, so may get a lucky windfall, or it may cost us more. Saw my solicitor this morning to sign a few things and he confirmed if it does happen it is the completion date that matters ...
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    11.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    badmemory said:
    Why do we keep having this government by newspaper article though?

Because politicians don't have the courage of their convictions - they'd prefer to leak stuff to the press and see what the reception is and they can then always deny it as 'fake news' and not implement it if it appears too unpopular with the electorate.