PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that referencing house prices may be sometimes be pertinent to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please refrain from going off-topic into broad, general debates about the housing market, the economy and politics. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my lodger he's using too much water and energy or increase rent?

edited 20 September at 5:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
53 replies 50.8K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
259 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
MSE Staff
edited 20 September at 5:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I let my spare room, with the rent including household bills as it makes life easier. However, my current lodger uses an insane amount of water - he takes 45-minute showers, and leaves the tap running when he's doing the dishes or shaving. I've left out a washing up bowl and plugs for him, but he hasn't taken the hint. As well as being wasteful, given the energy price rises (it's hot water he's using), it's becoming a financial issue too. Do I tell him to use less or should I put the rent up?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies