🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Confused re energy DD

Options
PM22
PM22 Posts: 212 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 20 September 2022 at 3:21PM in Energy
Hi,
I live in a 2 bed flat and pay £88 for electricity and £79 for gas per month. The £88 for electricity was hiked to clear a £500 debt which I have now paid off.
However, I got an email today asking me to pay £395 per month which is over 4k per year. I thought all this had been stopped and capped at £2,500? Have I missed 
the point? Will my gas and electricity be 8k then?

Comments

• PM22
    Options
    I thought it was capped at £2,500 for the average user? I am a below average user and they're trying to charge me 4k minus 400?????
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You'd be best off posting on the energy boards. 
    You'll probably find it useful to dig up your annual energy usage in kWh as well, for both gas and electric
  • The_Fat_Controller
    The_Fat_Controller Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2022 at 3:12PM
    Options
    There isn't and never will be a cap on your total bill in ££££s.

The only thing that is capped is the unit rate per kWh, so if you use more, you pay more.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    The £2500 is an illustrative figure based on broad average usage patterns.  The price per unit is capped, but you still have to pay for what you use, so your actual bill could be a lot more or a lot less than £2500.
    As above, the first thing to do is check what your actual usage has been over the last couple of years (look at the units, or KWh, ignore the actual cost).  Also, have you been submitting regular meter readings, or are the majority of your bills estimated?
  • double_dutchy
    Options
    A "typical" user uses 2,900 Kwh of Electric and 12,000 Kwh of gas. If you use that amount you'll pay £2,500 a year (from October 1st) but if you use more you'll pay more (and if you use less you'll pay less).

• PM22
    Options
    2862.7 Kwh is how much electricity I used in the last year so why are they trying to change me £395 per month then? I don't get it

• double_dutchy
    Options
    ....and do you know the gas usage?

Who is your supplier, are you on a variable tariff or a fixed tariff?
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 1,027 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've moved this to the Energy board
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 September 2022 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Yeah, that looks excessive.
    Assuming a daily standing charge of around 45p and cost per kWh of around 35p (these are ballpark estimates of the new cap - others may have better info), your annual electricity bill should be around £1,150, so £95 or so a month
  • Martico said:
    Yeah, that looks excessive.
    Assuming a daily standing charge of around 45p and cost per kWh of around 35p (these are ballpark estimates of the new cap - others may have better info), your annual bill should be around £1,150, so £95 or so a month
    That’a strong statement when we’re missing most of the required information?

Tariff? Gas usage? Duel fuel or split supply? In credit or in debt right now?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure