We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Virgin Money Cashback Retailers?

Options

Comments

• Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    If you buy gift cards in store, they will track as any other purchase. I use these offers for buying gift cards and then using them later on daily shopping. I make a point of charging them with odd amounts like £249, so it looks like normal shopping.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
     I make a point of charging them with odd amounts like £249, so it looks like normal shopping.
    I don't see what this safeguards against. It's perfectly possible to buy exactly whole amounts worth of groceries.
  • flykiller
    flykiller Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For those that don't know , offers change every other Thursday.

These offers are also available from Barclaycard and NatWest. Any others?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    flykiller said:
    Also Lloyds and Halifax.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2023 at 5:15AM
    Options
    flykiller said:
    For those that don't know , offers change every other Thursday.

You can download an ap called Airtime Rewards and link your cards. They have a load of retailer cashback offers although you have to use the 'cash' as credit towards a mobile phone bill instead of getting actual cash. If the same retailer appears on your bank cashback scheme and Airtime rewards, you'll usually find that they both pay the cashback. I've made about £30 in the last year with no real effort. Their offers include things like 5% at Boots, 3% at Argos and 4.5% at Wilko. These are all ongoing offers, they don't chop and change as often as the bank schemes do. 

Topcashback also have a few instore cashback offers. Recently they had 5% cashback on a £35 spend at Waitrose. Natwest also had 5% cashback on a £30 spend at Waitrose. They both paid out for the same transaction resulting in me earning 10% cashback. There's also Nectar Connect which is similar for Nectar Card holders.

All of these schemes rely on you sharing your card data and spending details with a third party. I know not everyone will be comfortable with that but I'm happy to share my credit card details (not my bank account) and I've made some good cashback as a result. 

PS - should also mention Chase who pay 1% on most debit card spend (maximum £15 cashback per month). 
  • flykiller
    flykiller Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys.  Yes it's great when these offers are stackable with various cashback offers.  Don't forget Qpark too, which is from the Airtime rewards family. 
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    Sadly, I only can use supermarket cashback which is not so popular on bank apps or credit cards. I don't shop in other places, so always try to maximise cashback on Morrisons offers.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly, I only can use supermarket cashback which is not so popular on bank apps or credit cards. I don't shop in other places, so always try to maximise cashback on Morrisons offers.
    Natwest Rewards credit card pays 1% cashback on supermarket shopping. This is a feature of the card rather than a 'comes and goes' offer. The card has a fee but it's waived if you have a Natwest Rewards current account.

Santander's Edge debit card does the same (plus petrol, train tickets and certain Direct Debits) although there's an account fee so it won't be worth it unless you will generate enough cashback.

And as I mentioned, Chase pay 1% on most debit card spend (including supermarkets). 
  • Madison
    Madison Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened a Virgin current account to take advantage of a fixed-rate ISA and had no intention of using the CA.  They email me each month with details of cashback offers but everytime I try and activate it on the app, I get a message to say there's a problem at their end and to try later and this has been happening for over a month now.  I get cashback with Chase which is really straightforward albeit only up to £1500 per month.  Their customer service is abysmal and I'll be closing the account once the ISA term is up. 
  • easysaver
    Options
    On redeeming my Barclays Blue Reward I saw an option to sign up to Barclays Cashback Rewards. I signed up and it looks like the same system as Virgin/RBS/NatWest. Maybe useful for some (e.g. cashback on your first spend, so if using Virgin on the first purchase use RBS next etc).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback