Chase App doesn't work on new Samsung phones!!!

Comments

• boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    WillPS said:
    ramasaig said:
    I think Martin Lewis should have mentioned this on his recent program when he was recommending the Chase card for foreign travel. (I apologise if he did and I missed it). I doubt if my accumulated 3% charges on foreign currency conversion are going to add up to the cost of a new phone..
    There are hundreds of reasons why an individual might not be able to make use of a product someone recommends. It's not reasonable to expect them to lay out all those reasons every time they make the recommendation.
    Although I agree with that statement in general, given that Chase is an app-based bank the fact that it doesn't work on some *brand new* Android phones is definitely a big deal and definitely needs highlighting. Imagine if your new TV didn't work because you have the wrong type of electricity. You'd feel pretty peeved that the review did not mention that possibility.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,410 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    boingy said:
    WillPS said:
    ramasaig said:
    I think Martin Lewis should have mentioned this on his recent program when he was recommending the Chase card for foreign travel. (I apologise if he did and I missed it). I doubt if my accumulated 3% charges on foreign currency conversion are going to add up to the cost of a new phone..
    There are hundreds of reasons why an individual might not be able to make use of a product someone recommends. It's not reasonable to expect them to lay out all those reasons every time they make the recommendation.
    Although I agree with that statement in general, given that Chase is an app-based bank the fact that it doesn't work on some *brand new* Android phones is definitely a big deal and definitely needs highlighting. Imagine if your new TV didn't work because you have the wrong type of electricity. You'd feel pretty peeved that the review did not mention that possibility.
    Not sure that really scans as a comparison. Support of any particular individual model of device is not a key feature of a banking app, each bank will have limits in terms of what they can support - Chase are not alone in not automatically enabling support on new devices either. You might expect that every app is available but that isn't the case.

On the contrary the "type of electricity" a television set runs on very much is, to the extent that it is standardised, homologated and regulated so the consumer has a legitimate reason to expect that a telly sold anywhere in the UK will power on anywhere.

A better comparison might be that somebody recommending a telly failed to point out that it requires decent signal reception, and you find that your area has none after buying. Caveat emptor.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I don't think it is Chase that needs to be blamed

I think is the manufacturer of the phone - nobody should be selling 32-bit phones in this day and age

I would complain and take it back
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Android is planning to drop support for the 32bit OS as soon as the next release (or one after), so its a far bigger problem than just a banking app. Blame the Manufacturers such as Samsung and Motorola who still put a 32bit OS on a phone with a 64bit processor.
  • FFHillbilly
    FFHillbilly Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chase isn't my main account, so I don't even have the app installed on my phone, instead I use an old phone that lives on my desk always plugged in as the battery lasts 10 minutes. it's a Samsung Galaxy S9, just searched on Google and it's over 5 years old, but still works fine
    So which phone is it thats causing the problem, sounds like it may be old tech
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 July 2023 at 10:56AM
    Off topic somewhat, but I recently opened a Chase current account only to find it's not possible to use their app., simultaneously, on more than one device.
    It's necessary to go through identity procedure again, for another device, which then stops access on the first device. Rinse and repeat.
    I've never had to do that with any banks' app. up until now.
    Account closed after a couple of hours after discovering that.
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    I've used a couple that do that. They write a magic key on to your device and that becomes the security "dongle" for their app and you are not allowed more than one active key at the same time. First Direct go even further and use your phone/tablet as the dongle for banking online, outside of the app. So if you login from your PC you have to use the app on your phone to generate security codes then type them into the PC.

If you haven't closed your Chase account yet it's worth thinking about keeping it open but empty, because once you close a Chase account they never let you open another and in the future they might change the security rules or offer something irresistible!

• oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    "Account closed after a couple of hours after discovering that."
     Yes, I did see the warning about being banned for life during the closure process.
    It's a shame because account opening was easy, through the app., and account operating looked straightforward too.
    I use banking apps., on more than one device. The same bank(s)on each. I didn't like jumping through the hoops they require to do that.
  • FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    km1500 said:
    I don't think it is Chase that needs to be blamed

I think is the manufacturer of the phone - nobody should be selling 32-bit phones in this day and age

I would complain and take it back
    I didn't even know they still made 32-bit Android outside developing countries.

Do they even run the full version or simply Android Go? 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    FredTrump said:

I didn't even know they still made 32-bit Android outside developing countries.

Do they even run the full version or simply Android Go? 
    Samsung and Motorola as two main examples still put a 32bit OS (the full version not Go which is for developing countries) on their budget phones despite them having 64 bit architectures.

Unfortunately people who tend to buy these phones are not tech savvy and do not understand the limitations they are getting which will only get worse as more app providers drop support for 32 bit and Google itself drops the 32 bit version (outside of Go).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback