This one is a praise from me.

A gran and two very young children were going around picking up litter near where I live. I was a bit shy to congratulate them. Do you see this in your part of the world?

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,143 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    The HT of the school I worked at used to take working parties of year 6 children litter picking around the estate the school was on after their SATs. Some of them carried on doing it into adulthood. He taught them to take pride in their community. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Hand on heart I can honestly say I’m not a litter bug (are you?) This is one of my good vices.

Back in the day when I was driving, the litter would  congregate on the passengers side footwell, and boy it did build up. Every couple of days I would clear out the waste when passing a roadside waste bin.

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Thumbs_Up said:

Hand on heart I can honestly say I’m not a litter bug (are you?) This is one of my good vices.

Back in the day when I was driving, the litter would  congregate on the passengers side footwell, and boy it did build up. Every couple of days I would clear out the waste when passing a roadside waste bin.

every couple of days? Amatuer stuff. 
    My car goes from isnt this nice tidy, to my god this cars a tip.
    and repeat.
  • custardy said:
    Thumbs_Up said:

Hand on heart I can honestly say I’m not a litter bug (are you?) This is one of my good vices.

every couple of days? Amatuer stuff. 
    My car goes from isnt this nice tidy, to my god this cars a tip.
    and repeat.

It was a company car, so I had obligations to keep it clean.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, a couple of my neighbours do this regularly. There's also an organised group in our village which goes out once a month to litter pick. I hate the fact that people still throw their rubbish in the streets - sometimes out of car windows - but I'm glad that these people help to keep our village clean and tidy.

Don't be too shy to speak to people who do that, you could even make some new friends. My neighbours have - and they enjoy the exercise too. It is just such a shame that some people think it's okay to dump their rubbish anywhere they feel like it.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • A new neighbour moved in opposite me. For the first six months straight off the bat every Sunday morning this gentleman would pick up other peoples litter around his home. He gave up.   

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Litter picking groups are popping up in towns across the country.  I'm a member of my local one, but rarely manage to get to their organised work days.
    I will still take my litter picker and do a circuit of my local area from time to time.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,872 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We see some, particularly more elderly, individuals who are out doing this on a regular basis.  Regular enough to have proper litter picking kit.  Additionally work has regularly had beach clean days where a gang from a department will pick up the debris that has washed up in various locations.  The city does the regular proper beach cleans (big snow plow type thing needed each night unfortunately) but the little nearby inlets and bays are trickier.  The garbage there is either stuff washed off the nearby beaches or floating litter bugs.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • So, let me ask this question – How do you educate people not to drop litter?

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2022 at 5:39PM
    Personally I believe there are an element that if they know there’s council cleaners, or even good Samaritans picking up rubbish, take the view that they’re there for them, so what the hell, chuck it on the floor. Council here have an on-line reporting line for fly-tipping, it’s a never ending problem with mattresses, clothing, wardrobes, white goods, all just chucked on the pavement.
    And don’t get me started on those little helium capsules . . .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback