I pay when I get bill (6 month) last 3 months DD was put in place at the total yearly cost.

So my water bill come to me vie e-mail for 6 months water used between £52 > £43 bill payed up to Aug 2022. I phone them and pay them by bank card as I always do. My account is £212 in credit. The water compony had set up a DD each month for £85 with out (a) informing me (b) getting my signature (c) with no explanation or sorrow over this. If I had not had enough money in my account a bank letter costing £25+ would be sent to me, & if it had depleted my funnies more non payments DD and standing orders would have happened and a letter would have been the 1st I knew about it. What can I do to (a) stop this happening to any others family at this cash scrap and very hard time? (b) Is there any thing in place now to stop this happening in the 1st place?
I had to hunt for a phone number that would not cost me 17p per min 0234. Went online, typed on talk with the water company and was given a 0800 number to call, contacted them and she look at account and removed the DD and in next 3 to 5 working day I will get back to my bank £212 which to me is 31% of my monthly benefit.
I shudder to think if it the DD had been put in place 6 months before ie 62%.

Comments

• Your water company could not have set up a Direct Debit unless you provided them your bank sort code and account number. This is not the same as providing the long number from a debit card to make a payment. If they had obtained those details and set up a DD, then the bank's direct debit guarantee provides that you call the bank and they get the money back when an unauthorised deduction has been made. It sounds as though you have successfully resolved the situation. Like you I still pay my water bill half-yearly, about £180 each time.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,964
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm a little confused -  if you pay on receipt of bill how come you were £212 in credit. ?

This all sounds like an error which has been resolved.

The normal process re informing you of changes to DD would be a note on your last bill. You do not have to sign anything.

If the DD had been collected in error then the DD guarantee is in place - the bank will refund - there's no letter - no £25

Are you on a meter ?

Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport