PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free alternative to Nimbus maps (check if multiple properties are private/council owned)?

2»

Comments

• Was searching for free alternative to nimbusmaps, but doesn't look like there is any. May be Nimbusfree should provide some basic plan for a minimal fee?
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 September 2022 at 2:29PM
    user1977 said:
    newbieFTB said:
    user1977 said:
    Are there actually many bungalows among the social housing in the area? It's not a normal build type for council houses, apart from maybe small terraced/semi ones for the more infirm tenants.
    Well the house that's being sold to fund the purchase is ex-Council and is opposite a row of Bungalows 

And are/were they council housing?
    These properties are exempt from right to buy so none of them will be ex-council or for sale.
  • 20vt-rs
    20vt-rs Posts: 684 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Did you or anyone find an alternative to Nimbus maps? I am after something and Nimbus used to be great to give boundary outline and plot size. It's a lot £ per month though now :( 
    Mortgage Free Wannabe Light Bulb Moment (Early 2012, started May 2012)
    Original Mortgage Amount - £147k (Oct 2005) / Term 27 years (To 2032)
    Target to Pay off by 2026 by overpaying - Officially Mortgage Free June 2023!
    Balance Reduction Progress: May12 £128k / Nov13 £120k / Dec15 £107k / Mar18 £87k / Mar21 £46k / Jun22 £28k / Jun23 £0!!

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not sure about council houses, but I've seen areas where several housing association houses are shown as a single plot. Those houses that were bough outright were shown separately. I think it's the same for council houses.
    The boundaries are typically a little away from the satellite view, but give a good idea of the actual boundaries.

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,500 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    There’s tons of bungalows in good conditions in our part of the world (Dorset) but it’s one of the most expensive parts of the country.  When we lived in Devon I noted there were tons there.  We bought a 3 bedroomed one in Northants, there wasn't a lack and ours was cheaper than some 3 bedroomed houses.  
  • newbieFTB
    newbieFTB Posts: 120 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2023 at 8:33PM
    Alderbank said:
    user1977 said:
    newbieFTB said:
    user1977 said:
    Are there actually many bungalows among the social housing in the area? It's not a normal build type for council houses, apart from maybe small terraced/semi ones for the more infirm tenants.
    Well the house that's being sold to fund the purchase is ex-Council and is opposite a row of Bungalows 

And are/were they council housing?
    These properties are exempt from right to buy so none of them will be ex-council or for sale.

An old thread but bumping up as @grumbler has linked to an alternative source that gives an indication as to whether individual properties are likey to be  privately owned, which was why I was looking for an alternative to Nimbus.

The bungalow my relative ended up buying was an ex-council property which was purchased by the vendor using right to buy so it seems that not all bungalows were exempt from right to buy (the vendor purchased in 2005 - not saying it hasn't changed nowadays).
  • newbieFTB
    newbieFTB Posts: 120 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2023 at 8:32PM
    grumbler said:
    Not sure about council houses, but I've seen areas where several housing association houses are shown as a single plot. Those houses that were bough outright were shown separately. I think it's the same for council houses.
    The boundaries are typically a little away from the satellite view, but give a good idea of the actual boundaries.

Thanks, my relative has bought a bungalow now but this does pretty much what I was trying to achieve. Coincidentally the bungalow they bought was an ex-council property bought by the original owner using right to buy - looking on the map you linked to the surrounding properties are all on one plot with my relative's bungalow being on it's own plot so this would have done the job in trying to identify privately owned properties.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 346.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 238.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 613.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.6K Life & Family
  • 251.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.