Price rise lpg

All I seem to hear about is mains gas! I live in a very rural area without any mains gas and the lpg companies have a captive audience. Does the price cap not apply to them? 
«1

Comments

  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2022 at 10:16AM
    No, I'm afraid that it doesn't.

    However, I have found that my LPG price has only risen from 33ppl to 38ppl over the past year.

    Not sure what's going to happen over the next year!

    LPG is a bit of a "waste product" from oil refining, so does not seem to have been affected in the same way as mains gas.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Mister_G said:
    No, I'm afraid that it doesn't.
    However, I have found that my LPG price has only risen from 33ppl to 38ppl over the past year.
    And, at 38ppl, LPG is currently cheaper than mains gas.
    Come October, when mains gas is expected to be 15p/kWh, LPG will be cheaper even at £1 a litre.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    QrizB said:
    Mister_G said:
    No, I'm afraid that it doesn't.
    However, I have found that my LPG price has only risen from 33ppl to 38ppl over the past year.
    And, at 38ppl, LPG is currently cheaper than mains gas.
    Come October, when mains gas is expected to be 15p/kWh, LPG will be cheaper even at £1 a litre.

    Yes, and I wonder how many people will consider changing over to it?  I'm sure that the likes of Calor, Flogas etc are waiting in the wings.  You do need room for the tank and there are certain safety regs about the siting.

    The jet change on the boiler should be less than £50.
  • Sorting_Hat
    Sorting_Hat Posts: 123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2022 at 10:25AM
    Yes the traditional "LPG is a 3rd pricier than the mains"  no longer applies.

    Don't forget you will need an LPG engineer from the Gas Safe register to work on your heating system.
  • hi new to site not sure how it works but id like to ask a question. has anyone ever tried haggling over the cost of their LPG? I like many others have no choice but to use LPG however when I first signed up it was 34.5p with a cap increase of 3p in any 6 months period in year 2. First it went up to 50.5p then 70p both times more than the 3p cap the explanation given was because of what's happening in Russia. Is this roughly what other people are paying?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    lennysMG said:
    hi new to site not sure how it works but id like to ask a question. has anyone ever tried haggling over the cost of their LPG? I like many others have no choice but to use LPG however when I first signed up it was 34.5p with a cap increase of 3p in any 6 months period in year 2. First it went up to 50.5p then 70p both times more than the 3p cap the explanation given was because of what's happening in Russia. Is this roughly what other people are paying?
    You seem to be paying a lot more than most on here.  Who are you with?  I certainly suggest that you shop around when your 2 year contract is up.

    You will see from my post above that I am currently paying 38ppl.
  • whoa !!! 38ppl??? I just called Calor to query why we were paying 85 ppl when others on here were a lot lower, they managed to get us down to 82 ppl (fixed for a year). I have previously looked at Flogas but they wont supply us as our tank doesn't meet their criteria (its next to our driveway) but Calor doesn't seem to have an issue with this. seeing this makes me want to cry as we are now locked in for a year, do you mind if i ask who your supplier is?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 August 2022 at 3:48PM
    HBS in Hampshire.

    I'm a long time customer and part of our village bulk buying group.
  • Given that by law LPG contracts are 2 years, I would suggest JoSuth73 has signed a 2 year agreement fixed for 1 year.

    Sadly the drive next to the tank does make it fall foul of the HSE rules on LPG tanks, not just for 1 firm but all firms. This is because not only should nothing drive over an LPG tank but a vehicle is a fixed source of ignition when it starts its engine.

  • Hi thanks for the reply this site is really eye opening. Im with Northern Energy.  I can't believe that some of you are still paying what I initially signed up to last June.  Ive been told that the latest price (24/8/22) is 76.5p another hike in price, how can they justify that. Im definitely looking around when my contract ends next year.  The most annoying thing is the mains gas pipe that supplies the rest of England runs through our village but we can't have mains gas.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards