NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

iPhone water resistance & misleading advertising

in Consumer rights
13 replies 632 views
moneytrollmoneytroll Forumite
192 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
I have an iPhone 12 pro which I took with me on holiday. I made some videos of the kids swimming in the river and got a few water splashes on it. It then turned off and wouldn't turn on. I took it to apple who first said they would fix it under Consumer law (it is just out of warranty) but they later changed their mind and said they wouldn't repair a water damaged phone. I explained that the phone is advertised as water resistant with an ip rating of 68 (I think?). it says it can be submerged 6 meters under water for 30 minutes!!! I never submerged it. It's annoying because I feel the advertising is misleading. if i knew it could be damaged so easily, I would never have taken it anywhere near the water. Anyway, i wanted to find out whether there is a case against Apple at all? (and where would I go to take it up). They mentioned two places: some consumer mediation type thing and the other one, i don't remember (trading standards maybe?) But I wanted first to ask here whether it's worth the time at all.
Thanks,
moneytroll

Replies

• user1977user1977 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Given the reference to consumer rights I presume you bought it from Apple?

Sounds like "not as described" if it's not in fact water resistant - though the difficulty may be proving what happened to it one way or another.
  • Olinda99Olinda99 Forumite
    656 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the 'water damage' strips are activated inside then either:

1. the phone was faulty - leaking if you will - easily allowing water in, or

2. it was submerged to the equivalent of 6m for 30m
  • DanDare999DanDare999 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have an iPhone 12 pro which I took with me on holiday. I made some videos of the kids swimming in the river and got a few water splashes on it. It then turned off and wouldn't turn on. I took it to apple who first said they would fix it under Consumer law (it is just out of warranty) but they later changed their mind and said they wouldn't repair a water damaged phone. I explained that the phone is advertised as water resistant with an ip rating of 68 (I think?). it says it can be submerged 6 meters under water for 30 minutes!!! I never submerged it. It's annoying because I feel the advertising is misleading. if i knew it could be damaged so easily, I would never have taken it anywhere near the water. Anyway, i wanted to find out whether there is a case against Apple at all? (and where would I go to take it up). They mentioned two places: some consumer mediation type thing and the other one, i don't remember (trading standards maybe?) But I wanted first to ask here whether it's worth the time at all.
    Thanks,
    moneytroll
    Whilst they have an IP68 rating Apple also say 

"Splash, water and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance may decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty, but you may have rights under consumer law."
  • moneytrollmoneytroll Forumite
    192 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks,
    moneytroll
    Whilst they have an IP68 rating Apple also say 

"Splash, water and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance may decrease as a result of normal wear. Liquid damage is not covered under warranty, but you may have rights under consumer law."
    Apparently I didn't have those rights. 
    192 Posts
    Forumite
    Olinda99 said:
    If the 'water damage' strips are activated inside then either:

1. the phone was faulty - leaking if you will - easily allowing water in, or

2. it was submerged to the equivalent of 6m for 30m
    So what can I do?
    192 Posts
    Forumite
    user1977 said:
    Given the reference to consumer rights I presume you bought it from Apple?

Sounds like "not as described" if it's not in fact water resistant - though the difficulty may be proving what happened to it one way or another.
    Yes, anything I can do now? Apple have said categorically that they are not repairing it (and tried to sell me a new phone).
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did you purchase direct from Apple?
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you purchased from Apple, you could take them to small claims court for the cost of the repair. If you bought elsewhere, your consumer rights would be exercised against that retailer.

It will be down to the court to decide whether your claim is reasonable or not.  Or the retailer may offer something when they receive your letter before action.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As you have had ot over a year you will need to prove it is  faulty.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is there any damage - chips, cracks etc which would compromise the water proofing?