Saving electricity tips

Options

Comments

• Benny2020
    Benny2020 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your male tortoise laid eggs?
    It's either female or your eggs are tortoise poo.
  • RogerBareford
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Last few weeks I have reduced using tumble dryer and dishwasher  but not really making a big difference 
    It's generally held to be more energy-efficient to use a dishwasher than to wash dishes by hand.  It might not be cheaper though; that could depend on how you heat your hot water.  
    Is it though ?
    I'll typically boil ~2l of water in a kettle (~0.2KWh) and add another ~1l of cold to do all my dishes from a days use. A dish washer will use what, 6l of water and 1.2-1.5KWh ?

3L of water won't really clean many dishes, pots and pans thoroughly as it will get dirty quite quickly.

My dishwasher uses hot water from the tank so it's gas heated which is cheaper than electrically heated.

I think you can wash dishes cheaper by hand but a dishwasher does a far better job and also take far less manual time.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Noooo Benny, we have 2 torties, as I'm sure you realise lol.

Jorge is only 8, a teenager in the tortoise world. Plenty of hormones but not quite sure what to do with them. His much larger female friend Izzy lets him make his attempts on her front or sides but flips him on his back if he goes near her rear end.

Think I should be able to tell if the eggs are viable in a few more days. Don't want to chuck em out too early, could be a money making scheme yet, tortoise breeder. ;)
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Benny2020
    edited 15 June 2022 at 11:41AM
    Options
    "Jorge is only 8, a teenager in the tortoise world. Plenty of hormones but not quite sure what to do with them. His much larger female friend Izzy lets him make his attempts on her front or sides but flips him on his back if he goes near her rear end."

My wife has the same policy.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's pointless talking about savings (either in £ or kWh) in comparison to previous months and years. There are too many variables. What would be of value is talking about the total wattage reduction.

Anyone with a functioning IHD attached to their smart meter should be able to simply read the base load with everything switched on then off and note the difference. It's probably worth turning off any fridges and freezers before to avoid the complications of compressor pumps kicking in and out.

On the current price cap, every 10W you can shave off your base load will save you ~ £2 per month.

I wouldn't personally advocate indiscriminately turning everything off at the wall. I suggest figuring out exactly how much energy each item uses and then strategically targeting the biggest wins.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 June 2022 at 12:19PM
    Options
    @Petriix I don't share that view as at this time of year heating is off and hot water is a measurable constant or even like us today off all together. So that's a perfect time to seek out electric guzzlers and have a try at energy saving measures with nothing else on except your background reading for essentials like broadband and fridge freezers.

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,111 Forumite
    Options
    Get rid of the electric car
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Mstty said:
    @Petriix I don't share that view as at this time of year heating is off and hot water is a measurable constant or even like us today off all together. So that's a perfect time to seek out electric guzzlers and have a try at energy saving measures with nothing else on except your background reading for essentials like broadband and fridge freezers.

What I mean is that comparing month to month is pointless because you might simply have done fewer loads of washing or spent 20 hours more watching TV etc.

I absolutely do think you should identify what is using the most power and looking at how to reduce that. I just don't think there's much point in switching off the power adapter which your bedside lamp and phone charger are plugged into.

I found that the biggest wins for me were switching off the old amp powering my kitchen ceiling speakers, the wireless printer, and the second base for our cordless landline phone. That knocked about 50W off our background usage.
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    Options
    Our best saving is totally turning off TV and set top box at plug socket when not in use and doing away with TV sound system. 

We have the TV on a lot less, hubby was a "background noise" type watcher but now it takes a couple of mins for the freeview box to "wake up" he doesn't bother with it. I used to put the news on in the morning, now I check it on my phone. Much nicer now to open the patio doors and listen to the birds twittering.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Benny2020
    Options
    Stop letting the birds use twitter and you could save more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback