PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheese straws???

Comments

• JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    math..you are sooo right! on saturday i had what i thought was a cook-a-thon......30 teddy bear cookies, 20 chocolate krispie cakes, 12 flapjacks, bottle of homemade lemon squash and a homemade lasagne (for me for three meals) this morning i looked in the biscuit box and found 3 and a bit teddy cookies 2 flapjacks and a chocolate krispie cake, squash and lasagne long gone!!!! where are they putting it all (didn't help that b/f came round to stay this weekend and i kept catching him right by the biscuit box - complete coincidence he assures me!!)

seems i will be spending all day tomorrow cooking again!! (spose that keeps me out of the shops though!!) :D
    November NSD's - 7
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    I failed an O level Home Econonics practical for not having all my cheese straws at the same length! :p
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    For a variation try spreading a very thin layer of Marmite in the middle before adding the cheese/folding.

NO way.....use vegemite instead. :D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cheese Straws

4 oz flour
    ¼ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    3oz unsalted butter
    4 tbs finely grated cheddar cheese
    1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp iced water

Sift together the flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the grated cheese.

In a cup, mix together the egg and the water. Add this to the butter and flour mixture and with a fork mix together until it forms a stiff dough. Roll the dough into a ball and wrap in greaseproof paper. Place in the fridge and chill for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to Gas 6, 200ºC,400ºF. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a rectangle about ¼ thick. Cut the dough into strips about 2 inches long and ¼ inch wide. Arrange the strips on an ungreased baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for about 15 minutes or until the straws are very light brown in colour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    vernall wrote:
    quite nice sprinkled with cayenne pepper too

or sesame seeds......icon7.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am thinking of doing cheese straws for a party tonight. I did a google search but could only find an American receipe involving cups of things. I have some nice strong cheese to do them with but nothing else fancy. Anyone have a tried and tested method. The bought cheese straws are so bland

Mary
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Jem8472
    Jem8472 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Well the only time I make them is when we are making somthing else and have some pastry left over.

We dont make our pastry ourself us the bought stuff in the blocks.

using short crust all we do is:

Roll out the pastry sprinkle grated cheese in flod the pastry over and roll it again (it wont stick together that well) and keep putting cheese in and folding over depending on how cheese you want them.

then cut into strips, you could try twisiting them if you want.

then we cook them at about 200C for 10 15 mins. untill they are brown really.

simple

Also know somthing very simlar with sugar to make a sweet version.
    Jeremy
    Married 9th May 2009
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You should have searched here first :)

If you "search this forum" when the main listing is showing and then click on "advanced" and type into the relevant box cheese straws and then at the bottom click in "show as posts" you'll get over twenty hits.

To see the first of them ---> Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I made cheese straws at the weekend, mainly to give to my 10 month old as a snack, but they were too crumbly and dry for her to take. Does anyone have a recipe for tasty but moist and soft cheese straws?
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I always use Nigella Lawson's "cooking with children" recipe for cheese stars. I find them to be quite soft and moist, especially the day after baking them.

50g SR flour
    25g soft butter
    80g red leicester
    20g parmesan
    pinch cayanne pepper

Mix all ingredients together and knead a little until you have a ball, roll out to about 2 1/2mm and cut into stars (or whatever shape you fancy) and bake at 200c for about 8-10 minutes. They will still be quite soft but they do crisp up a bit more as they cool.

I sometimes miss out both the parmasan and cayanne, they are lovely either way. This makes about 15 for us (Nigella says 25 so she must roll thinner than I can! :D)

HTH

honey x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family