New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

cheese straws???

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
48 replies 15.9K views
JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
4.3K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
has anyone got a recipe for cheese straws? i have done a search and am not coming up with anything....id really appreciate the help!!
#82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%

Replies

• MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    I make two kinds of cheese straws (neither from a recipe)

1. I make a batch of bog standard pastry and kneed in a handful of grated cheese. Roll out and cut into straws. If I'm feeling posh I may twist them and sprinkle with more cheese and cracked black pepper before popping in the oven at 220c for 15-20 mins

2. I roll out a block of shop-bought:o puff pastry. Sprinkle it with grated cheese and fold in half so the cheese is hidden. Roll out again and cut into straws. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    thanks for that :D thought id give them a go as a change in the lunch boxes instead of crisps!!
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MATH wrote:
    I 2. I roll out a block of shop-bought:o puff pastry. Sprinkle it with grated cheese and fold in half so the cheese is hidden. Roll out again and cut into straws. HTH

For a variation try spreading a very thin layer of Marmite in the middle before adding the cheese/folding.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You spelled BOVRIL wrong :p;):):D :rotfl:
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    squeaky wrote:
    You spelled BOVRIL wrong :p;):):D :rotfl:

Humblest apologeis:rolleyes: How could I make such a fundemental error :confused: ??
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're forgiven :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • KTFrugalKTFrugal Forumite
    74 posts
    Even cheaper, you can make a batch of pizza dough and knead in some parmesan, roll the dough out thinly, twist it and deep fry it. You can add herbs if you really want to be fancy.
  • JAMIEDODGERJAMIEDODGER Forumite
    4.3K posts
    MATH....thanks for that....have just now taken out first batch of cheese straws from oven!!! yummy!
  • vernallvernall Forumite
    492 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    quite nice sprinkled with cayenne pepper too
  • MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    MATH....thanks for that....have just now taken out first batch of cheese straws from oven!!! yummy!

I bet they don't last past Corrie hehehe

I've just read your quote. My Mum is only 4'11 and she rules the world (with a rod of iron):D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.