Energy Rebate

borderlord
borderlord Posts: 31
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 1 June 2022 at 7:50AM in Energy
Hi all
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am not clear how I will receive my £400 energy rebate. I live in a mobile home park, and the park owner pays the electricity bill for the whole park, and then bills the residents separately. In theory it is only he that will get the rebate. How will this be passed on to the residents?
All the talk seems to be about electricity, but my heating is by lpg gas delivered to a tank in the garden. This is also energy, and, to my mind, as important as electricity since it is this that heats my home.
Could someone please clarify?
Jeff

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 May 2022 at 7:44AM
    At the moment there is no way for you to get the rebate as you do not have a domestic electricity account, the rebate is going to the electricity account as that is what "everyone" will have whatever other fuel they use for heating.  It is being looked into how it can be done in your circumstances but don't bank on getting anything - the system does not know you  use electricity as it is all done by the park owner and they are not going to get the rebate as they are not a domestic user.
  • borderlord
    Forumite
    Hi molerat, thanks for the quick reply.
    Can't believe that so many deserving households will be denied this rebate. On my park alone there are 55 properties, all occupied by pensioners, who above all will need this help. I am sure there are other parks in the same situation, so that's a fair number of people being left out.
    Need to keep pressing for the government to solve this riddle.
    jeff
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,284
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Need to keep pressing for the government to solve this riddle.

As the old saying goes “you can’t please all of the people, all of the time!”

Just look at some of the other threads, its difficult to work out some of the very complexed situations and multiple benefit claims per household to see that there are some riddling to be done.

Now with the £150 CT credit there was people who didn’t automatically receive it, but where abe to claim it via other means.  So therefore watch out to see if they bring out another way.  The easiest way was to put it automatically on your utility bill.

If your case was slightly different eg you paid direct for your electricity but then used oil for your heating.  Although your oil cost would go up all the grant would go on your electricity.  Which still isn’t ideal.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    peteuk said: If your case was slightly different eg you paid direct for your electricity but then used oil for your heating.  Although your oil cost would go up all the grant would go on your electricity.  Which still isn’t ideal.
    But the logic of that seems clear. Everybody except someone living off grid will have an electricity supply regardless of what fuel is actually used to provide heat in the home.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • borderlord
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Pete
    'you can’t please all of the people, all of the time!' Wrong. The government has promised a rebate to ALL households, not just the ones who have an electricity account. However they do it, there must be some provision for households like ours. Need to keep asking the question until there is.
    calcotti
    I am not 'living off the grid'. I do have an electricity supply but this is not paid direct to an electricity provider, so I have to get this rebate some other way. Whether it's via my gas supplier or by claim is immaterial as long as I, and many others like me, get it.
    Have to keep the pressure up on behalf of thousands like me.
    Jeff

• Archie_Duke
    Archie_Duke Posts: 285
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all
    Pete
    'you can’t please all of the people, all of the time!' Wrong. The government has promised a rebate to ALL households, not just the ones who have an electricity account. However they do it, there must be some provision for households like ours. Need to keep asking the question until there is.
    That’s not exactly what I remember the Chancellor saying in his interviews about the aid package. I think he acknowledged that the government couldn’t say that it would achieve complete assistance to all people.

Government promises are worth about as much as my last Co-op till receipt too!
    Arch
  • borderlord
    Forumite
    Archie
    'Every household in the UK is to get an energy bill discount of £400 this October as part of a package of new measures to tackle soaring prices.'
    This from Rishi Sunak three days ago
    Jeff

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    On my park alone there are 55 properties, all occupied by pensioners,
    Which should at least mean that they'll all be getting at least the £500 Winter Fuel Payment this winter ?.

• calcotti
    Forumite
    borderlord said:
    calcotti
    I am not 'living off the grid'. 
    I didn’t suggest you were. My comment was a general point about why the rebate is aimed at electricity supplies rather than other fuels. The comment had nothing to do with your particular situation in which you are not the account holder.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    edited 29 May 2022 at 6:15PM
    'Every household in the UK is to get an energy bill discount of £400 this October as part of a package of new measures to tackle soaring prices.'
    This from Rishi Sunak three days ago
    Jeff

The scheme guidance information says “Energy suppliers will deliver this support to households with a domestic electricity meter over six months from October“. If you don’t have your own domestic meter it appears you will not get the rebate.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cost-of-living-support/cost-of-living-support-factsheet-26-may-2022
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback