SIM for USA trip

Options
Hi guys. We planned a trip to Florida about 3 years ago and due to covid it's been cancelled 3 times. hopefully this summer we'll finally get there 4th time lucky.

However, my previous research telling us to get a 3 SIM card is apparently not the best idea now due to new costs using them abroad. So our main giffgaff SIM would be too expensive and our 3 SIMs that we got and added money too specifically for the trip are now also expensive.

What would currently be the best SIM to get to use solely in Florida?

Thanks all, Marc

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 May 2022 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Do these work? I'm sure I read these are not affected:

https://www.three.co.uk/payg-data-packs
  • chistery
    chistery Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have an eSIM capable phone?
  • P1Fanatic
    P1Fanatic Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Apparently Three PAYG is not charging for roaming still. However I was recently forced by Three to change contract and called them to discuss PAYG and specifically US roaming. They told me that PAYG would be following suit 23rd May from memory but their website still states PAYG isn't affected:

https://www.three.co.uk/go-roam

Go Roam update

To unlock your UK allowance in Go Roam in Europe, there’s a £2 daily roaming charge. When you Go Roam Around the World, it’s £5.* The daily roaming charge is triggered as soon as you use any of your plan's allowances in a Go Roam destination and lasts for 24 hours. If you’re on Pay As You Go, or your Pay Monthly plan started before 1 October 2021, these charges won’t apply.

So whether the person I spoke to was misinformed or something is coming - who knows. I ended up moving to Smarty as another thing that put me off about Three PAYG is you have to buy it via Amazon and read the reviews - so many issues with data plans not being loaded and lots of chasing Three Support. Not what you want before / during a US holiday.

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options

... and our 3 SIMs that we got and added money too specifically for the trip are now also expensive.
    Do you have 3 PAYG SIMs that have been loaded with credit? I'd go with them if you have already spent the cash.

I'm planning a trip to the US later in the year and I'm minded to get a T-mobile prepaid SIM once I arrive. They have a phone checker on their site for added reassurance that your mobile will work in US. Dual SIM mobile (to keep UK SIM for incoming) will help too.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-device 

@chistery asks above if you have eSIM, T-mobile (unusually) have prepaid plans (but I think only for iPhones).
  • marc.knuckle
    marc.knuckle Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys and thanks for the responses.

My phone is dual SIM, a Samsung note 20 ultra, and is unlocked. 

Yeah that's what we noted with the 3 plan now, £5 per day cost to roam! That will eat through the £10 credit we have on for now and will quickly make topping up too expensive.

Maybe we should just buy a SIM there, maybe t mobile as suggested above?
  • marc.knuckle
    marc.knuckle Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just reread the bit about ' if you're on payg, it doesn't apply' so maybe we're fine but it doesn't give me confidence and i don't want massive bills if it's wrong
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just reread the bit about ' if you're on payg, it doesn't apply' so maybe we're fine but it doesn't give me confidence and i don't want massive bills if it's wrong
    Other than the comments on this board which appear to have originated from call centre operators, who seem to have given two different dates, I am unable to find any reference to roaming charges for Three PAYG being introduced.

• BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think that it is a given that they will come, the question is "when"?
    Marc, when is your trip?
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have an unlocked phone, and you do not need to be reachable on your UK number, you can just buy a sim/package from Tmobile or any of their MVNOs. These can be bought from walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. 

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not get one there?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business