PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Anyone planning ahead?

Options

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a pair of furry slippers with a massive insole that can be heated in the microwave. It’s great for the really bitterly cold days. 
  • ChihiroSen
    ChihiroSen Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve started buying warm jumpers and blankets that are on sale. I expect the prices to go up in winter as more people than usual will be looking for ways to stay warm without heating.
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Gin_and_Milk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve started buying warm jumpers and blankets that are on sale. I expect the prices to go up in winter as more people than usual will be looking for ways to stay warm without heating.
    I think prices will shoot up too.
    I usually wear 'comfies' around the house, jogging bottoms etc, but they take ages to dry and we don't have a drier. Rather than use radiators this year I think we'll be using the local launderette as I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper, including towels, bedding and jeans.
    What do people wear around the house in winter?  Am I right in think microfleece stuff is warm?  Be a question of trying to find something, but it will be comfy and easy to dry!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've gone back to old fashioned vests under a t-shirt then jumper.  If still cold I have some quilted body warmers.  This is usually enough but if not then there are plenty of blankets or even a spare duvet or two!

• littlegreenparrot
    Options
    I wear thermal leggings under trousers. If I'm just in the house its often flannel pj bottoms, or I have a pair of fleece joggers from lidl/aldi (can't remember) that work well. Socks and boot slippers. 

thermal layer/long sleeved t-shirt/jumper/ fleece if necessary.  If I'm sat working or watching tv there is often a hot water bottle or microwave hottie somewhere about my person  :D

There are some really nice thin thermal layers available now, I often wear them under shirts for work and stuff. But they're nice enough that I could take a jumper off and not feel stupid in it. They wash/dry just as easily as a t-shirt and are well worth it in my opinion. Probably out of luck now but come the autumn they'll be back in the supermarkets etc. 

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought 2 longsleeve thermal undershirts last year, quite by accident, as I walked past them and they were on sale. The long sleeves make such a difference! I usually wear (old) T-shirts underneath my jumpers, but in winter I'll definitely wear those longsleeves more.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    not so much planning ahead as trying to avoid a short term fix. anyone know where you can get a good old fashioned line prop? one with a metal cap at the bottom to stop the rot? 

i've bought a couple of thin metal adjustable ones from the market but they've both bent/snapped within a couple of months. we can buy a long length of wood, but its untreated pine so i think it'll just warp and bend even if we give it a couple of coats of preservative. 
    My father made one out of length of untreated wood, just cut a v shape in the top. It's still going strong thirty years later with a bit of rotting at the end. It will warp probably but it doesn't have to be straight, just be able to hold the line up. Once you've hit the spot of tension,it wont fall down. Make get some thin tin from somewhere and nail a square to the bottom.

Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • JinJinBlue
    JinJinBlue Posts: 75 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got some M and S thermals from years back. Different colours and patterns for layering up. I have two large shawls and a fleece blanket for watching TV.  For my last birthday, I treated myself to a pair of fingerless gloves/wrist warmers made from recycled cashmere. 40% off plus free p&p so very OS. I also bought some of their off cuts 6 pieces for £3.00  to make a scarf or neckwarmer. Two of my best buys. So warm and cosy for my arthritis. Like all of you, I have thermal leggings and tights for under my jeans. I also have a fleece hat for wearing indoors if need be. I like the sound of boot slippers. I'll look out for a pair. I'm determined that the eight legged sea creature energy company won't get a penny more than I have to give it. 
  • London_1
    London_1 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    -taff said:
    ariarnia said:
    not so much planning ahead as trying to avoid a short term fix. anyone know where you can get a good old fashioned line prop? one with a metal cap at the bottom to stop the rot? 

i've bought a couple of thin metal adjustable ones from the market but they've both bent/snapped within a couple of months. we can buy a long length of wood, but its untreated pine so i think it'll just warp and bend even if we give it a couple of coats of preservative. 
    My father made one out of length of untreated wood, just cut a v shape in the top. It's still going strong thirty years later with a bit of rotting at the end. It will warp probably but it doesn't have to be straight, just be able to hold the line up. Once you've hit the spot of tension,it wont fall down. Make get some thin tin from somewhere and nail a square to the bottom.

Or if you want you can get a rubber ferrule that goes on the bottom of a walking stick if you find a shoe repairers they often have them got about a pound.I buy them for my walking stick as they do eventually wear out with walking 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback